T H I R T Y

-BITTERSWEET
the girl adjusted the black dress she had just put on, afraid it was too short. she wasn't really used to funerals. the last funeral she had attended was her mother's and if scooter had had a funeral last summer she definitely would've gone.

meilani took one last look at herself in the mirror and took off out her front door. she was met by jj who was wearing a pair of suit pants and a black shirt. "what a rare sight" she smirked taking in the handsome view. "yeah yeah, this is a funeral we're attending so don't get all horny on me" jj grabbed his girlfriends hand helping her down the steps as she struggled in her heels. "i don't need to be reminded" she sighed.
-

-

-
at the church, meilani and jj met up with the pogues. "i feel like this is the most asked question, but where on earth is sarah?" jj sighed. "she's inside, got a close up seat for us" john b replied, stifling a small laugh. "this must be a bit hard on her? right jb?" pope placed a hand on the shaggy haired boy. "yeah it is. she did have some sort of love for him."

jj squeezed meilanis hand for reassurance in the pew. "it's alright, breathe."
suddenly organ music began to play meaning the ceremony was about to begin.
-

-

-

-
after what felt like hours, the ceremony had come to an end. the group stood in the cemetery watching topper thornton's casket being lowered six feet under.
tears trickled down meilanis face, the same as sarah, kiara and rafe. john b, pope and jj didn't really share the same emotion as they weren't so fond of the kook boy.

jj held meilanis waist, pulling her into his side whilst placing a kiss on her head. "this isn't your fault lani, he could've killed you" he whispered. she threw him a look as if she were telling him to stop being so insensitive.

jj backed off and went towards the boys. meilani stood with the girls and rafe in a huddle.
the music stopped indicating that the burial was over. there was a sudden uneasy feeling in the air.
-

-
ms thornton stood behind the group. "haywood, cameron" she coughed. "sorry for your lo-" meilani started. the woman grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her close.

"how dare you show your face here" she hissed into the girls ear. meilani let out a small yelp in pain. "back off" jj grabbed meilanis waist pulling her back. "she killed my son" she spat.

"excuse me dr. thornton, correct me if i'm wrong, but, i'm one hundred and ten percent sure that it was your son who tried to kill me, and yknow what? he would've turned out a lovely boy if you hadn't raised him!" and with that meilani stared into the woman's soul, waiting for a response.

"ladies this is a finished funeral, please vacate the premises" kai appeared behind the older woman. "and cynthia, it's extremely inappropriate to be picking on young teenage girls." and with that cynthia turned on her heels and stormed off.
-

-

-

-
after one of the longest days the group has experienced in a while, they gathered in rixons cove.

jj sat on one of the camping chairs, legs open and shirt unbuttoned at the top. meilani approached him, taking a seat on his knee. kiara sat on the remanence of a tree with her boyfriend pope. john sat in a hammock with sarah placed in between his legs.

"i cant believe you snapped back at cynthia!" kie giggled, throwing back the rest of her beer. "she deserved it" pope laughed.

the girl stayed silent. "hey bub, what's up?" jj whispered. she was yet again silent. "bubba" she snapped out of her daydream. "i-i killed her son" meilanis eyes watered. "no don't say that mei!" sarah grabbed the girls wrist. "she's right. i played a part in him driving himself to do that, i-i tried to help him! if i didn't say that he wouldn't change maybe he'd still be here!" the girl rambled whilst looking down and messing with her promise ring.

jj cupped her hands, "shh. topper made the decision himself. you and rafe tried to help him but he didn't listen. you have to let go bub." john walked over. "it's okay sunshine, remember what we said alright? live and love everyday like it's your last." jj grabbed her face and placed a sweet yet passionate kiss onto her lips.

and with those words renewed in her mind, she sat looking around at her best friends glad that she was given her second chance.
-

-

-
love is what she found. whether it was with her best friends, father and brother or her boyfriend, the girl had realised that she was exactly where she was supposed to be.

~~~~

from a broken pair to being partners in crime, jj and meilani found eachother and would continue to be eachothers medicine until the very end, even with their daddy issues.
-

-

-

-

-

thank you for reading 'daddy issues' a jj maybank & obx story!
i really really hope you enjoyed this as much as i did and i want to thank you for the support! <3

expect a new and different obx story soon!
love you all and i hope you'll join me on a new story soon :))
as always, write soon! :)
-a xox