The Warning

I slept deeply, like I didn't have a care in the world, but I didn't sleep long. I woke up at 9 a.m. and I laid in bed reading my dad's letter over and over, processing what was written. Yakone, bloodbending, my mom, his belief in me. The letter is a roller coaster from start to finish. It's awesome to have the papers for the penthouse. Makes me feel I have more control over my assets and over my own life. The book will come super handy too. I really want to try to get a feel for some of the things in the book.

I get up to get some breakfast. I make bacon, eggs and toast and a cup of coffee. I sit in the living room and start thumbing through the book. I eventually get to the second chapter of the book and it starts with a page that has a short introduction in the center. "Bloodbending is what lightning bending is to firebending. Lightning bending is accurate, calculated and concentrated burning rage. Anger has fueled many good firebenders. But accurate control rage has made master firebenders and deadly lightning benders. Waterbending is similar but the opposite. It requires being calm and going with the flow. To be a blood bender, you must be even more so. You must be absolute, cold-hearted and unfeeling. A weak heart cannot control another. Ice your veins for you must be cold-blooded not to feel empathy for the pain you are causing your victim. The pain of twisting the blood and muscle of them. To have absolute control, this is the cost." Below the paragraph is a written message from my dad, warning me not to read further.

I flipped back to the first chapter where I find I already know a few of the moves written in this book. There are three things that caught my eye though. The condensation technique draws moisture from the surrounding air, condensing it into water that can be manipulated easily. A technique that goes on hand with is the phase shift. It goes more in-depth on making water into steam or into ice. I can already make water into ice, but I have a hard time making it into steam and turning it back in the water. the most interesting technique I found in the book is plant bending or as the book says it's historically called "Swampy Style Waterbending".  I think it could potentially come in handy if there's ever a time when there are a lot of plants around and not so much water. For now, I'll start trying the condensation technique.

"The smallest amount of water can come in handy especially in a pinch. Drawing water from the air, the sweat of your brow, trees and flowers can become essential sources of water. Being able to draw on even the smallest amount can be life-saving. Any humid or moist environment you can draw enough water from the air that would be comparable to the size of an adult head. However, in an arid or dry environment, you wouldn't be able to gather enough water to even fill the palm of your hand. So using this technique appropriately is key. As you begin to master this technique, you can go from using two hands to one hand to perform this move."

I continue reading and afterwards I give it a try and follow the one-handed diagram. I figure this will be a cinch since I'm so gifted. I stretch out my arm in front of me and start moving my hand in a figure-eight, bending of the wrist. Then I moved to bending my elbow, swiftly moving my whole arm and moving my hand around my head multiple times before stopping to see my progress. Hovering above the palm of my hand are three water droplets the size of peas. That's… unsatisfying. I try again and get about the same result. Maybe the air in the my place is dry. I step outside onto the terrace with the book. It's a little chilly today. Again, I swear on my hand in the air, but the yielded result is the same. This is not going to be easy. I took up the book again and try using the two-handed technique. I gather a few droplets more this time than I did when I did it with one hand. I practice for a few hours. Eventually I get to a point where I can collect enough water to fill my hand.

I take a break and get a snack. I got some grapes and a rice cracker. I look at the clock on my wall and nearly choked on a grape! "Holy shit! I'm late!" The clock reads 3:30. I scarfed down my rice crackers and grapes as I frantically get dressed into a pair of dark brown pants, a low-cut black shirt and gray jacket. I roll up the sleeves on the jacket as I look for my water bag. I find the bag and I frantically put water in it. I attach a strap to it and fasten it around my waist and move it to my right hip. I don't have time to do makeup so I grabbed a hair tie, put on boots and rush out the door after grabbing my keys. I jump onto a passing trolley and head to the hideout.

I burst through the hideout doors, scaring everyone in the lobby, with some people ready to attack. I pant heavily, putting my hands on my knees. "Haaa… haaa… sorry… I'm late." I say before people go back to what they were doing.

"You should be sorry. I told you to be here at three o'clock." Zolt says walking up to me.

"Sorry sir… I got… huff… distracted." I say, wiping the sweat from my face while standing up.

"Get here on time next time." Zolt says sternly. I wonder if the Zolt knows about my dad being Yakones son. Before I had a chance to ask, he walks away and sits down in the back corner of the lounge. I look around and there's quite a few people here. But there are a couple people here I haven't met before. Must be some new recruits. Most people are talking to each other.

Shin approaches me, smirking. "Well, well. Look who decided to finally show up."

"Hey I was busy. Bite me." I say as I start braiding my hair over my shoulder.

"I was just sayin' me and my friend over here were gettin' lonely. We were worried something happened to ya." He turns and gestures over to the pool table where I see Bolin lining up a shot while pabu is sitting on his shoulder.

My eyes widen with surprise, then I snap back to Shin. "What the hell is he doing here?" I ask furiously.

"We needed some extra muscle, so we're hiring him for the night." Shin says. Well that explains the new people. I scowl then walk past him.