Ambushed

I walk up to Bolin. He sees me approach and smiles. "Hey (Y/N)! Fancy running into you here." He says jokingly.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Well right now, I am winning this game of pool." He says leaning against the table.

"No you're not, pal." Haan, another triad member, says as he sinks two solids into a corner pocket.

"Aww." Bolin says sadly.

"I mean why are you here?" I ask, pressing my question.

"Mako and I need some money. Shady Shin is offering me a lot to be here tonight so here I am. This also gives us a chance to hang out." Bolin says as he talks over the clanking of pool balls.

"It's good to see you Bolin but it's not safe here. There's an impending turf war. If you get hurt here, your career as a probender is over. You shouldn't be here." I say sternly.

"I have to have money (Y/N). The Fire Ferrets can't enter the tournament without it." Bolin says.

"It's your turn, kid." Haan says. Bolin looks at the table figuring out his best move.

"What do you mean?" I say.

Bolin starts to move around the table and I follow. "The team needs thirty thousand yuan to donate to the championship pot in order to be in the tournament. I know doing this isn't safe but it's our only option to get the money we need by the end of the week." Bolin explains as he decides on his next shot.

"Does Mako know you're doing this? That you're here?" I ask as I lean into his field of vision.

"No and please dont tell him. He'll just lecture me again."  Bolin says as he leans over the table, balancing the que in the crux of his thumb and index finger. "Shady Shin has already given me five thousand up front and he says he'll give me ten thousand after tonight. We also already agreed that if I do this again, he'll give me another fifteen. Then I'll have enough money for the pot." He closes one eye and sinks a stripe.

"That great and all but do you really want to get back in this again after you got out? I'm just... worried." I say. "I… I care about you, so I don't want you to be mixed up in all this."

Bolin lines up another shot and he smiles. "I definitely appreciate the thought, but I'll be fine." He closes one eye and aims. "Besides it's not like anything is going to happen, right?" He misses his shot and scratches the que ball.

After his game, we sit on one of the couches and talk for a while. Bolin recaps the match from last night, all while gushing about Korra. "You should have seen her fight. She was amazing! Mako was totally surprised."

"I bet." I say with a half smile. "I'm glad you guys won. You and Mako have been working really hard to get where you are."

"Ya. It's awesome!" Bolin smiles widely as he looks out the window. "Wow it's dark already. I'll be done soon for tonight."

"Awe, really?" I say.

Bolin chuckles. "I thought you wanted me to go home?" He says as he leans in slightly.

"Ya, but I really like hanging out with you." I say bashfully.

"Me too." He says looking at me sweatly, which instantly melts me."I'm going to get something to drink. Do you want anything?" 

"Water. Oh! Actually I have some plum wine in my office. Do you want some?" I offer.

"Is that a good idea? We're on duty." Bolin says cautiously.

"We're not getting waisted. You don't have to if you don't feel comfortable with it."

"As long as you think it's ok since we're on duty."

"Zolt doesn't care, if that's what you're asking. He's probably drinking too. Him and a few others at least." I point out.

"Well you would know since you're my superior in this situation."

"HA! You make me sound like an old lady."

Bolin does an impersonation of an old woman by squinting his eyes and hunching his back. "Back in my day, we ate rotten fruit to get drunk. Now get me that wine wipper snapper."

I laugh. "Yes, grandma." I get up and start walking towards my office. Suddenly, there's crashing all around us. Leaping into the hideout through the windows are people in gas masks. Who are they? The Agni Kais? Red Monsoons? No. They wouldn't resort to a sneak attack. Fire, earth and water starts flying all around us. Bolin stands up.

"You ready Bolin?" I say as I pop open my water pouch.

"Ye-yeah!" Bolin says with a panicked look on his face.

More masked invaders enter through the front door as a masked person comes at us from the left. "LOOK OUT!" I shout as I strike them with a stream of water.

"Thanks." Bolin says as he bends a piece of flooring at another masked person. We keep fighting but see other mestarts of the gang being taken out and falling to the floor. "They're Equalists." Bolin says.

"What?!" I say in disbelief before turning to an oncoming attacker. I strike but they quickly evade my attack and counter with jabs up my arm and down my torso, making me fall to the floor.

"(Y/N)!!" Bolin shouts. Before he gets a chance to fight back, he's taken down too.

"I can't move!" I say.

"It's chi blocking. Don't bother trying to move." Bolin grunts.

"I didn't think the Equalists would have the guts to make a move on the bending triads." I try looking around and see that everyone is already down. Out of the corner of my eye, they have Zolt tied up and gagged. They're carrying him out the door along with some of the other members. "Hey. What-" I'm cut off by a gag that's packed over my mouth "Hm. Hm hmm hmmph." I try desperately to speak. I look at Bolin and see his eyes wide with terror as they gagged him too. They tie us up and carry us outside. They put us in the back of a truck with Zolt, Shin and a few others. I look at them and they are as scared as we are. I look back at Bolin, but he's looking outside. I try my hardest to turn my head. The truck starts moving and the doors on the truck swing wildly. I get a glimpse at what Bolin was looking at. It's Mako and Korra! The Equalists close the doors of the truck. Me and Boolin look at each other with hope. We wait, sitting in the truck. We wait, and wait, and wait until we realize that they're not coming. Despair fills my heart and I see it so Bolin's eyes as we continue to drive to our unknown destination.