Home Again

At the end of the week, I decide to go home. It's time to stop licking my wounds, physically and emotionally. Korra didn't go to pro-bending practice this week so Bolin made a house call. He gave her a rose and some pastries he bought. Mako's date went well too. Turns out that girl, Asami, is the daughter of the owner of Future Industries, Hiroshi Sato. Seems like everyone is doing well in the love department except me.

I'm packing up to leave right now while Bolin is making lunch. Out of nowhere, Mako comes running up the stairs.

"Bolin!!! I got great news!" He says with a smile smeared across his face.

I look up and Bolin jumps, almost dropping the knife he's using to chop vegetables. He turns around and looks at Mako. "Whats up bro?"

Mako stretches out his arm to present his announcement. "We're officially in the tournament!"

"Oh my gosh! Really?!" Bolin smiles wide and sets the knife on his cutting board.

"Congrats you guys!" I say with a half smile. "How'd you pull it off?"

"Mr.Sato says Future Industries are going to sponsor the Fire Ferrets! How awesome is that?!"

"Awe yeah! The Fire Ferrets are in baby!" Bolin exclaims, pumping his fist in the air.

"That's great." I say. I actually meant that, but it felt empty handed.

"Come on you guys! We're going out to celebrate." Mako declares.

"Sure. Sounds fun." I say, slightly unexcited.

"What about the food I'm in the middle of making?" Bolin gestures to the counter with food on it.

"Wrap it up and save it for later!" Mako says, dismissing his brother's worries.

After Bolin wraps up the food and I finish packing, we go out to eat and celebrate. The boys chatter excitedly while I sit quietly and play with my food. I guess I'm still sore about Bolin liking Korra. After we're done, with my bag in tow, I part ways with the guys and head home. I'm not paranoid about walking alone in the street anymore. I figure the only people that can hurt me are Viper and Amon.

I stop in front of my building and scan the face of it floor by floor. It's good to be home. After stepping through the building doors, I check my mail. I grab a thick stack of letters that I can barely hold in one hand. I head up to my apartment in the building elevator. Even after living here all these years, I still feel like it's snobbish to call it a penthouse.

After I enter my apartment, I kick off my shoes and step up to the wood floor of my home. Looks like Mako left the light on in my bedroom. That's going to cost me a pretty penny when the electric bill comes around. I set my bag on the kitchen table, sit on my couch and start flipping through the stack of mail. Junk mail. Letter from the Building Neighborhood Association. Building rules update. Junk. Junk. Water bill. Junk. More junk. Last piece of mail is a fancy envelope. I remove it from the stack and set the rest of the mail on the couch beside me. It's light green with gold edges. I turn it over and discover a stamp of a council member on the seal. I open the letter and read it.

Dear (Y/N),

You are cordially invited to a gala hosted in honor of Avatar Korra, who will be in attendance, welcoming her to our beautiful city. The gala will be held in the Ballroom A of the Public Hall in the Capitol Building. This event will be held at seven in the afternoon on XX-XX-170. Black tie and fancy dress is required for the occasion.

Sincerely,

The Office of Councilman Tarrlok