A Moment Alone

Mako leads me to a phone and I call my builder super. I tell him I was in an accident and that I’d be staying with a friend for a few days. I ask if he could bring a spare key and meet Mako at the building and the super agrees. The super asks if he should be worried about what happened to the Triple Threats but I tell him not to worry. Even though he is under the territorial protection of the Threats, the Equalists won’t attack non-benders. I was surprised that he knew that the Equalists attacked but word spreads fast I suppose.

I tell Mako to get money out of a safe that I have hidden in the wall of my dad’s office. Enough for me and to take a couple thousand for himself, as a thanks for the rescue. He was against it at first but I tried to convince him to take it. I hope he does, heaven knows he needs it. I also ask him to grab the book and letter off the kitchen table, but I didn’t tell him that it was from my dad. He says while he’s there, he’ll get me a few changes of clothes for me. It’ll take Mako about 30 minutes to get there so it’ll take him at most an hour and a half to get back. Mako leaves and I head back upstairs.

As I enter the apartment, I hear the sound of running water upstairs. Bolin must be in the shower. The lewd thought of Bolin standing in the shower seeps into my mind. His body parting the steam and water trickling down his body, creating waterfalls out of the crevasses between his toned muscles. The vivid imagery sends shivers up my spine, but in a good way. Geezus, I’m thirsty. I hope Mako comes back with the beer soon. I walk over to the window and I watch Mako walk down the dock towards the pier. I'm just worried that the Equalists will get to him, like they got me and Bolin. 

After he walks far enough away, he disappears into the crowd on the pier. I walk back over to the coffee table and pick up the tin of medicine. I turn back to the window and use it as a makeshift mirror. I lift my shirt and observe my injuries. Man, that moustache really hit me good on the stomach and directly in my cleavage. Since Bolin’s in the shower, it should be ok to take off my shirt for a moment. It’s not like I don’t have a bra on. As I take off my shirt, I’m reminded of the welt on my shoulder. I take a look at it and it isn’t as bad as it was but it’s still swollen in the center. I take some ointment on my fingers and apply it to my shoulder in circular motions. As I do, I look back out the window and I see the lights of the city. I’ve seen this view a dozen times but I’m seeing it in a different way than from before. It’s like I have a whole new appreciation for it. It’s beautiful and calming.

I’m brought out of my daydream by a creek in the floorboards. Who’s behind me? I refocus my eyesight to see the reflection of the room in the glass. I can’t see anyone besides me. They must be directly behind me. What if it’s an Equalist?! Did they follow us back here?! I don’t have any water, just a tin of fucking ointment. I grip the tin in my hand, ready to throw. 1...2...3! I spin around ready to chuck the medicine at the sorry fuck who thought they could sneek up on me, but I stop short. It’s not a chi blocker trying to sneak up on me, it’s Bolin trying to slowly back away. He’s frozen dead in his tracks, same as me. I look him up and down and he’s wearing only a pair of mud green shorts and a towel around his neck, his hair and body still dripping with water. After taking in the moment, I realize he’s looking away and slightly blushing. What is he embarrassed about? Then, it dawns on me… I have no shirt on.

“OH MY GOD!!!” I scream as I scramble to grab my shirt and put it on. When I finish my panicked redressing, I straighten myself out. ‘’S-sorry I hadn’t realized you had gotten out of the shower.”

Bolin laughs nervously. “And Mako criticizes me for not wearing a shirt.”

“You’re still not wearing one.” I say, snickering a little.

Bolin poses with a strongman pose and a silly face, making laugh out loud. “If you’d rather me wear a shirt, I will.” He says as he stands normally while drying his hair with one hand.