Chapter 12

Change of Heart

Lily's POV

"We're here, babygirl." 

I stared, in awe, at the rundown building in front of me. "Don't worry, babygirl, I'll protect you." He winked at me, but I could tell he was still nervous from the way he gripped the steering wheel and the uncertainty in his eyes. "Listen, just stick by me and my buddy, and make no eye contact with anyone, and you'll be fine, I promise." He took my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. 

He unlocked the doors and got out of the car. I took a deep breath and stepped out of the car. I met Romeo at the entrance. He wrapped his arm around my hips and pulled me against his side. "Just stand by me babygirl." He said, and pushed the doors open. 

A large man at the front glared at Romeo. "You're late." He growled. "I'm sorry, I got held up." Romeo apologized to the man. "Tis fine, you said you'd bring Juliet, Romeo." The man's features softened as he grinned cheekily at Romeo. "Grey, this is Lilian." Romeo pushed me out in front of him, like I was King Kong or something. "It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Greyson Kelly," the man bent down and kissed my hand, he greeted me with a slight British accent. 

"I'm Lilian Harrington." I smiled at him. "So I've heard." He mumbled. "So Romeo you have some important business to attend to, so me and Jamie will watch your girl for you." Grey said, deciding my decisions like I wasn't in the room. "You know I don't trust Jamie, so if you don't mind, the only person I'd even semi-trust with my girl in this entire place is Jem." Romeo argued. "Oh why because he's gay? Come on Jamie's got the hots for Lola anyways." Grey countered, even though he seemed to be enjoying this argument more than Romeo was, who looked pissed off. Amusement only twinkled in Grey's eyes. "Who doesn't? And anyways you know Jamie has slept with most of the girls in here, the ones with dignities are the only ones that haven't." Romeo said indecently.

"Yeah but except Aibileen-" "I know for a fact Aibileen has, Grey. Have you met her parents? Jamie's just fueling her teenage rebellion." Grey sighed and dropped the argument at the mention of Aibileen. I didn't know who that was but I assumed she meant something to Grey. "Fine, I'll see if Jeremy wants to watch her," he pointed a finger at me. "And then I'm going to talk to Aibileen." Grey sounded determined. 

"You know what, fuck that, I'm taking her with me." Romeo looked at me, grabbed my hand and dragged me off down a dark corridor. Grey's protests faded away as we walked into a big room, with thousands of chairs set up. Me and Romeo took seats in the middle of it. The room was loud, filled with the rowdy yells of teens and young adults. There were people from over 50 to probably a month old. People who looked so grizzly were holding infants and trying to get them to stop crying. 

"You can't leave." Romeo said to me suddenly. "You can't ever leave the gang unless you die, so most have families on the side from the gang." He explained, following my stare. "I first thought it was stupid and fruitless, to have a family when your life is this place, but," he stopped and looked at me. "Now I think maybe it's not that bad." He pecked my lips and quickly turned out to the crowd, greeting a friend of his who looked wasted. 

Grey sat next to me as Romeo was still talking to his drunk friend. "I'm surprised you can tolerate him." Grey rolled his eyes as he looked at Romeo talking aimlessly to the drunk.

"Me too, bud." Grey laughed so loud several people turned around to look at him. "Sorry." He mumbled. He looked back at me. "I'll enjoy having you around." He nudged me in the arm, smiling giddily. I smiled a small smile at him and then proceeded to notice the music blaring from the speakers. You could barely hear it over all of the people, but it was some sort of funky rock music I'd never heard before.