Day 12: On This Day

Hola, everyone!

While the Pride Fiesta exists to celebrate the spirit of Pride Month, we also celebrate and support other things like diversity, acceptance, positive change, and unity. But today we are also here in solidarity, as we remember the events of June 12th, 2016. 

LGBTQ+ Pride throughout the years has brought about leaps and bounds of positive change for the movement, but some communities still face discrimination just for being who they are. 

On June 12th, 2016, the LGBTQ+ community lost 49 of its members and allies, with a further 53 injured, in a hate attack at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, United States. 

While the unified voices of LGBTQ+ pride and solidarity have permeated far and wide across the globe, it is still worth remembering that in some parts of the world the LGBTQ+ community must still fight for their rights. 

All we ask for in this chapter is a moment of remembrance and to reflect on what Pride Month is truly about. It is about acceptance of LGBTQ+ people and their rights—the rights to love and to marry, to express themselves and be free, and, above all, to be treated as equals. 

We also wanted to thank you for being you and for making the Wattpad LGBTQ+ community the vibrant and positive place that it is. ♥︎♥︎♥︎