Day 28: Fly Your Flags

Welcome to the final installment of Fly Your Flag. We hope you've managed to learn a bunch about what these flags mean and where they come from -- hopefully, you've seen a few that you've not come across before! If not, well, you've obviously been doing your FreetheLGBT+ homework.

Read on and become a pride flag know-it-all! There's also an interactive challenge at the end and you can win a shout out from us!

If you didn't catch the first three installments of Fly Your Flag during the Pride Month Fiesta, go check them out!

Let's see how many of these you already know.

The polysexual pride flag. We hear what you're asking -- how are polysexual and pansexual different? You weren't? Well, we'll tell you anyway, just so this flag makes more sense. The 'poly' in polysexual means 'many', while the 'pan' in pansexual means 'all' (broadly speaking). Somebody who identifies as polysexual is attracted to many (but not all) genders, while somebody who identifies as pansexual is attracted to literally all genders. Think of polysexual being somewhere between being bisexual and pansexual.

The polysexual flag uses the pink and blue from both the bisexual and pansexual pride flags to symbolize the attraction to masculine and feminine genders, but instead of purple (bisexual pride flag) or yellow (pansexual pride flag), the middle stripe is green this time. Green in this case represents neutral and non-binary genders. 

The bi-gender pride flag

The bi-gender pride flag. Somebody who identifies as bi-gender experiences two genders ('bi' means two). This might be a case of identifying as both male and female genders, or female and a non-binary gender, or male and a neutral gender -- the point is, the combination of which two genders a bi-gender person experiences is individual to them. The bi-gender pride flag uses various shades of blue and pink, for masculine and feminine, but also includes purple (for non-binary genders) and white (for gender neutrality or absence). This flag has sometimes been used to represent the intersex community, but this is incorrect. The intersex community has their own pride flag!

Note: This flag also has many colour variations, such as flags with more blue, more pink, or with green. These represent 'leaning' towards a particular gender.