Day 15: Your Identity

Sexuality, attraction and relationship type can sometimes make some complicated labelling, but to help build a better, three dimensional model of its true diversity, there are some handy scales that can be used to gain better understanding. 

The 1st Dimension: Sexuality

The Kinsey scale was created by Alfred Kinsey who believed that sexuality was both fluid and subject to change over time. With the Kinsey scale, sexuality ranges from 0 to 6, where 0 is exclusively heterosexual and 6 is exclusively homosexual. There is also the "X" rating, for those who desire no sexual or romantic relations. 

Kinsey still stated that his scale only comes closer to describing the variations in sexuality, but that in reality there are always people who would find their identity falls between the various categories. 

Rating and Description

0: Exclusively heterosexual

1: Predominantly heterosexual/incidentally homosexual

2: Predominantly heterosexual but more than incidentally homosexual

3: Equally heterosexual and homosexual

4: Predominantly homosexual but more than incidentally heterosexual

5: Predominantly homosexual /only incidentally heterosexual

6: Exclusively homosexual

X: No socio-sexual contacts or reactions

If you are comfortable sharing this with us, use the inline comments and let us know which number (or X) best fits you!

The 2nd Dimension: Sexuality and Attraction

People have expanded on the Kinsey scale in various ways. For example, the one below uses the Kinsey scale and adds the various sexuality types and romantic attraction. 

The 3rd Dimension: Sexuality, Attraction and Relationship Type

To expand this even further, Luna Rudd added another dimension of relationship type, ranging from strictly monogamous to strictly polyamorous. 

Feel free to share your "piece of cake" in the comments!