22 • Playing With Fire

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

I sucked in a breath incredulously. What the hell was Vinay talking?

"Calm down man." Neel intervened quickly, pulling Vinay away from Harsh, who had a satisfied look masking his face.

Vinay's chest heaved as he breathed in short pants as he snatched his arm out of Neel's grip.

"Go home while you can, fucker. I'll deal with you later." He ground out.

"Uhuh, no violence," Harsh tksed at him, "Let's not involve any more people in our problems. Good night brother."

●○●

"Is Harsh actually your brother?" I leaned forward so that Vinay could hear me.

"Cousin." He replied over the wind, choosing not to elaborate.

We were heading back home after the awkward standoff in the college parking lot. I was bursting with questions about Harsh but I was trying not to overwhelm Vinay, especially when he was pissed.

Pissed Vinay was pretty much like a PMS-ing girl tending to infinity.

He stopped the gleaming Royal Enfield 350 in front of the iron gate of our apartment complex, the orange street light shining over us like a spotlight in a Broadway show.

The lane was deserted, save the occasional taxi that passed with old Hindi music blasting from specially upgraded speakers that added unnecessary bass to the songs.

"Aren't you coming?" I asked, getting off Vinay's motorcycle, when he showed no signs of pulling out the key from ignition.

He shook his head slightly in response, staring straight ahead.

I stood in front of his bike and placing my hands on my hips, I cocked my head to the side. "And why?" I prodded.

"I just need to clear my head a little. I need to vent." He replied in a low, hoarse voice as he twisted the bike handle, making it roar like a wild beast in the quietude of the late evening.

I rolled my eyes on hearing his excuse.

"By clearing your head, I presume you mean to say that you're going to go and drink yourself silly like you've been doing the past week?" I snapped.

"I don't have time for this, Akira. I'll do what I fucking want. I won't have one person more trying to tell me what to do and I expected you to understand that. So move out of the fucking way." Vinay replied coldly, boring his gaze deep into mine.

"Are you freaking serious, Vinay? I'm surprised your poor liver hasn't given away yet with the amount of abuse it has to face." I said, throwing my hands up shaking my head in disbelief.

"Why do you care anyway?" Vinay twisted his mouth, "I've told you before and I'm telling you again that you don't know fucking shit about me so please just leave me alone."