52 • Stalemate

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

His back was facing me and I thought he lingered in the kitchen for a few seconds longer than he intended to.

I don't know why but all of a sudden Vinay seemed to be on edge about something. My mouth dropped into a faint frown.

He turned around to face me slowly, still standing next to the kitchen counter.

"Akira, we need to talk." He said, his face hardening and instantly masking the emotions that clouded his eyes.

●○●

I folded my legs on the couch and shifted so I was facing Vinay as I anxiously watched him sit down on the other edge.

He offered me the glass of water he'd brought which I graciously accepted, I needed to calm my uneasy nerves.

Honestly, nothing good ever came from 'we need to talk'.

It was probably one of the most awful conversation starters in the history of mankind and usually ended up in more destruction over anything else.

It was like America calling Japan after the atomic blasts in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and saying gravely, 'Oh did I just wipe out two of your cities? Damn! I'm terribly sorry for that. But seriously, we need to talk!'

I wondered if Vinay had cheated on me. It seemed factually plausible because he used to have uh...a pretty active sexual life before we started dating, to put it simply, and I hadn't been around for a long time now.

Not once had I checked his phone since I'd known him because I didn't want to be the kind of person who nags their boyfriend all the time but now I was beginning to think that maybe I should have.

'What the bloody heavens are getting at Akira?' a soft voice asked at the back of my head.

'It's self preservation.' Another voice inside my head countered.

Vinay cleared his throat and I was pulled out of my train of suspicious thoughts before they managed to turn into another cranial disaster.

"So, I have been thinking..." he started in a soft voice, "I'm leaving in three weeks and I really need to know where our relationship is heading."

I pulled my legs close to my chest and hugged them for extra warmth.

"We have time to figure out what we want." I said vaguely.

I knew that I didn't want him to leave. But that was hardly an option.

"When?" Vinay scoffed.

"You said it yourself." I answered with a small frown, "We have three whole weeks to do that. Can't we just enjoy this evening?"

I honestly did not take the evening off from work to deal with such heavy issues. Right now I didn't have the emotional capacity to do it and I didn't even want to.