26 • Carpe Noctem

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

Neel had asked us to meet him at McDonald's in the food court on the top floor of the mall. I scanned the crowd for him and when I did spot him I almost had mild myocardial infarction.

Sitting next to him, dressed like a pretty little doll was...

I gulped.

It was Lara?!

●○●

I stopped walking, as my jaw dropped to the floor.

"Tell me this is a joke, Rosh!" I frowned.

She regarded me with a sheepish grin before she said, "See this was exactly why Neel didn't want to tell you about Lara. He knew you'd judge him for it."

"I'm not judging him!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air and received a pointed look from Roshni, "Fine, I am. But how can you expect me to just believe that Neel likes Lara? She's the whiny girl who flirts with every male specimen remember. The only quality she has is that she's an amazing dancer but Neel hates dancing so there's no subject for them to connect over. And..."

"Stop ranting, Akira!" Roshni cut me off, "She's a very sweet and genuine person once you get to know her."

"Come on, not you too!" I whined, almost stomping my foot on the floor like a little kid.

"Give me one good reason why you dislike that poor girl." Roshni asked, raising her eyebrows questioningly.

"She's uh...I don't know, ok. I can't explain it," I tried to recall what I had against Lara, but my memory seemed to have gone to the other side of world for a bloody vacation.

"Which is why you're going to wear your brightest and sweetest smile and be nice to Lara during this dinner." Roshni deadpanned, placing her hands on her hips.

Rolling my eyes, I started walking towards the table at which Neel and Lara sat laughing over some silly internet joke.

Let's get this over with! I exhaled deeply.

"Hello Neel! And oh my God, Lara! You're the lucky girl that Neel has been texting secretly since last week!" I gushed, plastering a wide grin on my face that probably looked faker than those fake Gucci handbags aka Guxi handbags you got on the roadside.

But no one seemed to notice. Lara and Neel were busy having a contest of Blush-me-to-the-moon-and-back, and Roshni was texting someone on her phone.

"Yes," Lara beamed at me angelically, "I'm so glad you finally know. Neel was afraid to introduce me to you girls."

Obviously?!

"Are you two going to have your usual? I'll go place the orders." Neel asked Roshni and me as he rose from his seat.

"Yeah." I answered quickly.

"No, I'd like to try that new burger they've just introduced and french fries." Roshni replied looking up from her phone.