28 • Emotional Detox

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

I closed my eyes and exhaled forcefully. But my rage kept growing, a mighty beast struggling against its restraints.

Beer bottle in hand I strode out of the hotel. I had no idea where I was headed.

My phone started ringing. Without checking the caller ID I switched it off and shoved it into my purse. If I so much as even tried to talk I knew I'd erupt into to teary whirlpool and I didn't want anyone to see me like that.

I was a strong girl. I was...wasn't I?

●○●

I felt stupid ambling down an orange lit lane. It looked familiar but I couldn't remember where it led.

I was halfway through the second bottle of beer. The bitterness was long gone now and I welcomed every sip eagerly, the sharpness of its aftertaste pushing the bad memories of today further away slowly.

What had I been thinking? Getting a job at TYCHE was no cakewalk and I'd been rather naïve to think it'd be presented to me on a silver platter.

And now I'd pretty much been kicked out. So much for being an overachiever.

I felt like laughing. Or screaming with rage. I was not sure which...both sounded like an utter waste of my dwindling energy levels.

An autorikshaw came to a halt near me and the driver called out, "Madam, do you want me to drop you somewhere?"

"Can you take me to hell?" I asked, my lips twisting up into a lazy, humorless smile as I stopped walking and faced him.

The driver cursed under his breath in Hindi, shaking his head at my response as he turned his key into ignition and drove away wordlessly.

With a colossal eye roll, I continued down the lane. Out of habit I squinted down at my watch to check the time. It was quarter to ten.

Way past my self imposed curfew of nine. But eh, who cares?!

There was a part of me that was screaming internally, trying to get me to drop this newfound reckless attitude I had sought out to forget today's events. I should probably have just gone home and slept it off.

Everything, literally everything seemed to be mocking me. The starlit sky looked brighter than usual, shining over me like a limelight, jeering at me for my humiliation. Even the starving tabby cat sitting on top of a wall lining the road looked like it was looking at me with disgust through it's unsettling, beady eyes.

"Akira?" a high strung, female voice called out from behind me, "Akira, is that you?"

Ugh! Kill me already!

I ignored the girl's voice and continued forward, pausing momentarily to take a swig of my beer. Maybe she'd assume I was someone else and leave me alone.