53 • Liberation

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

The door opened instantly, my best friend standing flabbergasted, looking almost comical in her red and yellow french fries themed pyjama set.

She quickly ushered me inside and sat me down on her bed, staring at my distraught face.

"What happened?" she asked gently.

"I think we just broke up." I mumbled incoherently before burying my face in my palms and I started crying again.

●○●

Screw Vinay for being a persistent prick!

That asshole knew I'd go to Roshni's and landed outside the girls' hostel the very next morning. But I desperately needed to sleep. I'd spent half the night crying and I didn't have the energy to deal with my problems face on.

I craved to see him but my pride wouldn't allow me to.

Out of all the things he'd said the previous evening it hurt me most that he expected me to leave everything I had poured my heart and soul into building. For a girl in a grossly male dominated society it wasn't the easiest of achievements and I expected him to understand that.

It probably worked in my favour that men were prohibited from entering the girls hostel premises because if I knew that if I heard his voice I would cave and run outside.

The hostel warden came up personally to kick me out the next day, and scolded Roshni for allowing me to stay over without permission.

And Roshni being her usual spitfire self, talked back to the warden rudely, jumping in to justify her actions which ended up making matters worse. She landed herself a weeklong probation- no visitors in the hostel for a week and a ten o'clock curfew.

"I'm so sorry, Akira." She mumbled guiltily as I made my way out.

"Oh God! No!" I shook my head with a small puffy eyed smile, "That warden is just an authoritative bitch. She honestly needs to get laid."

I hugged her tightly and mumbled a thank you in her ear before making my way back to the flat.

I knew for a fact that Vinay wouldn't be there.

He always seemed to run away when things got hard for him and he definitely wouldn't linger in the flat waiting for me to return. His enormous ego wouldn't allow that. It had taken two massive blows already. Once, when I walked out on him and second, when I refused to go down to talk to him the following day.

The apartment felt abnormally cold when I stepped inside. Maybe it was just my mind playing tricks but the place felt like it had been stripped of all its usual warmth.

Kicking off my flip flops next to the small shoe rack behind the door, I dropped the house key into the key bowl.

The apartment looked oddly different, but I couldn't quite put a finger on what it was exactly. It was probably just a nervous feeling after my argument with Vinay the previous night. I associated everything in the apartment with him.