01

Mae

Mae

I ducked around the corner, checking to make sure the coast was clear. The nurses walked around, some talking while others were rushing to patients. I knew what I was about to do would get me in trouble but this mission was important. Super important.

My eyes zoomed in on the target room. The door was closed with a man standing in front of it. And boy, was he big. He had to be well over 6 feet which towered over my 5'8 height. He wore a black suit with an earpiece in one ear.

I knew the man inside was a VIP guest, he had to be. But that didn't stop me. I had to get into that room. One arm held my weapon, the other held my portable oxygen bag, which my favorite color orange.

Nurse Kyle walked to another patient's room giving me the perfect opportunity. I quickly walked towards the door, I was almost there when I heard my name being called.

"Darn it. So close," I whispered. I turned to Nurse Kyle putting on an innocent smile.

"Hi." She glared at me shaking her head. "Back to your room."

"But I-"
"No buts, your room. Now." I frowned, folding my arms but turning to my room. I dragged my feet, looking at the panda I had in my hand. I was really looking forward to giving it to the VIP guest but I guess I'll have to wait another day.

I sat on my bed, sitting the panda on top of my pillow. I checked the time and decided to paint a little. I sat up the canvas and paint. Taking a thick brush, I dipped it in the blue paint and began working.

I didn't even know what I was painting, I just let my hands do what they wanted. They were like their own being, I just held the brush.

Halfway in, the door opened just as I was done cleaning the brush. I turned and smiled at my nurse.

"What's for lunch," I jumped up from my stool and skipped to Nurse Kyle. I looked over her shoulder, the food looked delicious but something was missing.

"Where's my jello?" Eliza gave one of those overly-friendly smiles. The one that told me I was still in trouble.

"You don't get jello today. Since you tried to sneak around without telling me." I gasped, holding my chest as I stumbled back.

"You didn't. You wouldn't have."

"Oh, but I did. I love you Mae. Enjoy," she yelled leaving my room and closing the door. I stared at it, glaring daggers into it.

Looking back at my tray, I whined still not seeing the jello. Slouching down, I began eating anyway. I was really hungry today. I sipped some of my water then stood to move the tray.

Before I knew it, I was coughing. It wasn't just a small, regular cough. It was one that came from the chest, it shook my whole body. I pushed the help button on the wall. Eliza came running. She helped me sit down and handed me a small bin.

I spit the mucus into it, still coughing. It was only about a minute before it stopped. Eliza rubbed my back in a motherly way. She gave me two pills, one was Dornase Alfa, which was for my cough. It helps block the cough reflex and thin the mucus. The other was a dietary supplement. I threw them in my mouth and took a large gulp of water, tossing my head back as I swallowed them.

I took the nebulizer from her hand and put it in my mouth. She turned it on and sat on the stool in front of me, carefully watching. I could already feel the Tobramycin in my lungs, it made my head hurt a little bit but it helped me cough up more mucus.

Turning the machine off, I gave it to Nurse Kyle and went to change into my sleeping clothes. I brushed my teeth and jumped into bed.

"How are you feeling?" I shrugged my shoulders. "Okay I guess. My head hurts a little but I just need to sleep." She nodded and stood up when her pager went off.

"Goodnight Mae. I love you."
"I love you too," a bright smile came onto her face. She kissed my forehead and rushed to where she needed to be.

I was left alone in the dark. At night is when my thoughts ran wild, when all my problems and insecurities woke up. I stared at the ceiling that I had covered in little twinkling lights. It was like the stars in the sky.

I tried to keep positive but all the negative thoughts found a way to creep in. I'm 18 years old with no family. No one who cares about me, besides Nurse Kyle. Even though it wasn't much she still meant a lot to me. Growing up in an orphanage, I was surrounded by kids and people but no one ever noticed me.

I was the invisible girl, the one people didn't even realize they left behind. Maybe that's why my parents didn't want me.

After a while I got used to it. Used to be alone and not having any friends and that was fine because at least I had somewhere to stay. When I turned 8 is when they noticed me but not in a good way.

We were outside when I just passed out. I don't know what happened next but I woke up in a hospital bed. The owner of the orphanage was there. She said they couldn't keep me anymore. It hurt, it hurt so much. I mean it wasn't like I was really losing my family, it was just that I had grown used to them. I was familiar with the people and kids there, only to be left alone in a hospital room.

Then Nurse Kyle came in and cheered me up. She wiped my tears and told me everything would be okay. She told me how sick I was but everything would be alright. She had become a mother to me and for that I was eternally grateful.

Though, there are times when I wish I had more friends and family. Of course there were people here who filled the role and I couldn't complain. My medical treatment was being paid for by one of the sponsors so there was nothing for me to be upset about.

Sometimes the internal loneliness just gets to me. All in all, I was as happy as I could be. I looked out the large window and at the city lights. I haven't left this hospital in ten years. I hope that one day I'll be able to see what the city looks like in person. Until that day came, just imagining it would suffice.

****

As promised, chapter one. I'm so excited for this book guys. I just might update again. I will also try to update my other books because I feel like I've been neglecting them.

What did you guys think? Do you think this will be a good book? I hope so. Next time😊