09

Mae

Mae

I sat in the stairwell crying tears of sadness. It hadn't even been that long since we met and I was already attached to Toly. I knew he had to leave but I didn't think it would be this soon.

It hurt. It felt like every time I got comfortable with someone, they walked out of my life. Usually it would be okay but I didn't want Anatoly to leave. For once in my life, I felt alive. I felt butterflies and the joy everyone always talked about.

My separation anxiety was more or less the reason why it hurt more than it should. All my life I had been left behind and forgotten about. I just thought this time would somehow be different. I had gotten my hopes up just to be let down once again.

Sniffling, I coughed through the tears. It was too much. My head was hurting, I felt chest pains and overall, today just sucked.

My head leaned against the wall, the tears finally coming to a stop after who knows how long. I stayed where I was, not having the strength to get up. The silence welcomed me, the hospital chatter muffled by the closed door.

The over exertion and physical breakdown had my eyes drooping. I had already cried twice today and it wasn't even lunch time. I tried fighting it but the battle was already lost. My eyes sealed shut, taking me away from my state of consciousness.

++++

I head my name being called while my body shook from their applied force. I groaned, scooting away from the person but they didn't let me get far. I groaned, fluttering my eyes open to look at the culprit.

"Mama," I whined sitting up. My grabbed the back of my neck, frowning at the discomfort. My frown deepened when I remembered everything that had happened today.

"Mae. What's wrong?" Mama asked sitting next to me. She always knew where I was or how to find me so she wasn't surprised I was in here. She did, however, know that something was wrong. I only came in the stairwell when I was upset or about to cry.

My lip pouted as I folded my arms in sadness.
"Toly's leaving. You were right mama. He's gonna go away and forget about me and I'll be here like I always am." The thought of me being so insignificant made the tears start up again. Mama wrapped her arm around me, pushing my head onto her shoulder as she shushed me, lightly rocking us back and forth.

"He's not gonna forget about you, Mae. He has been worried sick about you, you know that? Mr. Beletsky has been looking for you for hours. Of course he has to leave but he won't forget about you. You're took important and sweet and adorable. Who wouldn't want to remember you?" She pinched my cheeks, squishing them together. She made noises, pushing my cheeks together. I couldn't help but giggle before it turned to full blown laughs when her fingers tickled my sides.

I squealed, pushing her hands aways and catching my breath. Mama laughed at me pulling me into a motherly hug.

"Go talk to him. He looked really upset." I huffed knowing she was right. Standing, my knees cracked a little which was extremely embarrassing. I held out my hand to mama, helping her up and taking my bag from her outstretched hand.

"I'll see you later, okay?" My head moved up and down as I left the stairwell and entered the busy hall. I padded down the side, holding onto the rails as my mind conjured up images of my soon-to-be encounter with Toly.

Would he be sad like me? He probably wouldn't cry. He didn't look like he cried a lot. He was rough around the edges but sweet on the inside. Turning the corner, I stopped meeting Igor's eyes.

He stood in the middle of hall, in front of Toly's-the VIP room. I saw him speak into the bluetooth, not breaking eye contact with me. The door swung open, Anatoly rushing out his head already facing me.

His steps were hurried as he approached. I held my breath but didn't move. Taking a deep breath, his familiar scent filled my nostrils while he stood directly in front of me.

"Svetlyachok." His voice was gruff, the accent made my cheeks heat up. I could see the worry in his eyes. His large hand cupped the side of my face, his thumb running under my eye.

"You cry." It wasn't a question. I knew I must've looked a mess, hair out of place and dried tears on my face. I hung my head, twisting on the tip of my toes.

"I'm sorry for making you worry. I was just sad," I mumbled looking back up. Still I felt like it wasn't enough. Wrapping my arms around his waist, I gave Toly the most apologetic hug I could manage. Sighing when his arms wrapped around me seconds later.

He pulled away first, taking my hand and ushering me to his room. I gave Igor a small smile as we passed, pleased when he returned it. The door shut behind us after we entered. I looked around and for the first time since I've been in here, there was no one else was in the room.

Anatoly sat down, his legs spread so I could stand in between them. His large palms laid on my hips, our faces were eyes level.

" I leave tonight," he started. The corner of my mouth turned down. "But I come back for you, every day."

My eyes snapped up. I held my mouth open, shocked at what I must've been imagining I heard. "You'll come back?"

"Every day." My cheeks tightened as a smile pulled my lips apart. I threw myself at Toly, hugging him with all my strength. He fell back on the bed, tightly holding onto me.

"I thought you would forget me," I whispered in his ear. He growled, literally growled. His hands squeezing me impossibly closer.

"YA nikogda ne zabudu moyu budushchuyu zhenu i mat' moikh detey." He spoke in his native tongue, confusing me. I pushed away, sitting on his chest, to look in his eyes.

(I'll never forget my future wife and mother of my children.)

"What does that mean?" My head tilted along with the question. He smirked, eyes lighting with mischief and amusement.

"I never forget you." I smiled, laying back down on his chest. Maybe this day didn't suck. Of course it wouldn't be the same but it was something and that was everything. The fact that he would even come back just to see me made my heart skip a beat. If I didn't have a crush on him already, I would surely have one by now.