02

"Mae

"Mae. Come on sweetie, wake up." I groaned, flipping on my other side. I popped one eye open, looking at Eliza. I snapped my eye closed, trying to play it off.

"Nope. I already saw you. Get up," she laughed yanking on my cover. "Noooo. I'm still sleepy."

I rolled around, searching for my cover. I huffed, opening my eyes and sitting up. Eliza smile, she was always a morning person. All cheery and happy like.

"Good morning sunshine. How are you feeling?" I slid off the bed, stepping into to my orange kitty slippers. I went to the bathroom and picked up my toothbrush.

"I'm good. Hungry," I said glancing at her through the door. I wet my toothpaste covered brush and began brushing my teeth.

"I already ordered your breakfast. It'll be here in thirty minutes, enough time for you to finish getting ready." I nodded, spitting out the foamy toothpaste and hurried to get my outfit of the day. It wasn't anything fancy but it was cute. A light blue romper with flowers on it and some white sneakers.

I looked in my floor length mirror, admiring myself

I looked in my floor length mirror, admiring myself. I looked adorable, if I don't say so myself. I fluffed up my curly hair, pushing a light blue headband into it.

There was a knock on the door before it was opened. I graciously smiled at the helper nurse, taking the plate and glass of orange juice from him. "Thank you," I smiled brightly then closed the door with my foot. I sat the plate on the bedside table.

I hummed, looking at the assortment of fruit and the slice of toast. I sprinkled the small salt packet over it and dug in.

I picked up the iPhone X that Eliza got me for my birthday. I scrolled through the CF group chat, laughing at them. There was five us in it, including me. Two were boys and the other two were girls. There's Violet and Casey for the girls and the boys were Leo and Mickey.

Thinking about them, I decided to invite them out for lunch. It wasn't like we could go anywhere but I stilled wanted to see them. Locking my phone after they replied, I picked up my oxygen bag, putting the nasal cannula into me nose. I left my plate and glass on the table to be picked up later.

I snatched the panda bear. Maybe today I'd finally be able to give it to the VIP guest. Closing the door behind me, I stopped at the desk to tell Eliza where I was heading and that I would be in the cafeteria for lunch. Getting the okay, I went on to my first stop of the day.

The cancer unit was filled with children. Some in beds, others in bean bag chairs laughing and playing with each other.

"Mae!" I turned to the voice that gained the attention of the other kids. Before I knew it, I was surrounded by little bodies. Their arms wrapped around my legs making me laugh.

"Hiii," I sung bending over to hug as many of then as I could. "I missed you guys so much." I heard their chorus of 'we missed you' which only made me smile harder.

Ushering them back to the beanbags, I grabbed a book and sat crisscrossed in front of them. I read the title and author before opening the book.

++++

Forty-five minutes later, the story is over and the kids are shooting me questions left and right. I answered a few before calling it quits. I bid everyone goodbye, bending to give them hugs and promising to come back soon.

Next was the PICU, or pediatric intensive care unit. I had just enough time to talk to a few of them then head to the cafeteria. Getting there, I washed my hands, putting a mask over my face and gloves on my hands. I wasn't there for as long as I would have liked, only about 25 minutes but I also didn't want to be late.

Speed walking, I apologized to anyone I may have accidentally bumped and made it just as my friends were entering. I erratically waved, happy to see them even though it had only been two days since the last time we met up.

We sat at different tables, six feet apart. That didn't stop us from having fun though. We joked around, throwing grapes at each other. Telling stories and our plans for when we were able to leave the hospital.

We knew what reality said but we always had hope that our entire lives wouldn't be with us stuck in the same building everyday.

Saying our goodbyes, we headed our separate ways. Stopping at the retirement unit, I greeted everyone with a smile. I made my way to the couch where my favorite patient sat.

"Good afternoon Mr. Overton." He looked up giving me a warm smile.

"Ahhh, lovely Mae. You came to see me again. I started to think you forgot."

"I could never," I gasped feigning shock. He chuckled, getting comfortable again.

"So," I began, "what do we have today?" He perked up at the question, clearing his throat. He leaned in, eyes wide.

"There's a camera in my room. It wasn't there yesterday so I know the government put it there. They don't know it but I'm on to them. They think they can spy on me and I don't know. Ha! I'm not stupid. I know everything."

I shook my head at him. "Why would the government be after you? What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything. It's what I know. I know that they're spying on the citizens. They see me as a threat and they should. I could blow the lid off their whole operation. I'm dangerous!"

"You're dangerous. They better watch out for you. You might end their whole career." I said backing him up. He nodded, a confident smirk on his face. I giggled at him. He was a suspicious old man but he was an amazing person. I loved him, conspiracy theories and all.

I stayed with Mr. Overton for a few hours before I decided to get back to my room. I skipped down the hall, pausing a couple feet away from the VIP door. The man still stood there and he was still just as terrifying as he was yesterday.

I unzipped my oxygen bag and pulled out the panda. Gripping him tightly, I gulped, taking small steps to tall man. As soon as I stopped in front of the man, his eyes were glued to me. He looked menacing but this was important to me.

"Hi," I smiled up at him. He didn't return it but that didn't affect me. "I'm Mae. And t-this is a panda. Can you give it to whoever is in the room?" I held the bear out to him. He wearily stared at it for a few seconds then took it.

"Thank you Mr. Sir!" Turning on my heels, I skipped down the hall and into my room.

Operation Welcome the VIP: Complete.

*****

Another update. I'm proud of myself. I don't really have anything else to say so that's it I guess. What did you think? Please excuse any mistakes, this is not edited yet.