06

Mae

Mae

"Slow down Mae, they're not going anywhere," Eliza laughed placing her hand on Mae's shoulder. The woman felt like her arm was about to be ripped off. Mae slowed down but kept her pace at a fast walk.

Entering the cafeteria, Mae was already at her section where her tray of food sat untouched. She took it, carefully sitting at the table her mother had chosen for them.

Her mouth watered at the sight of the pancakes. Topping them with strawberries, chocolate syrup and whipped cream, she dug in. Eliza watched her with happiness permanently etched onto her face. She wanted to take it one step farther so she quietly removed herself from the table.

She stood at the cafe counter and ordered two of their drinks, one being her daughter's favorite. She smiled just thinking about how excited Mae would be.

"You got me Starbucks," Mae gasped letting her fork fall onto the plate. Her lip wobbled as she took the grande drink with bother hands. She sipped the cold coffee from the straw and moaned in delight. When she looked back up at Eliza, she just couldn't control her emotions. She started crying, hugging onto Eliza like her life depended on it.

One thing everyone knew about Mae was that she was a crybaby. She cried when she was happy or sad, when she was excited and mad, no matter how she was feeling there was a good chance tears would be shed.

Eliza released a breathy laugh, helping Mae dry her face before she finished eating. Mae picked up her still full Starbucks cup and waited for Eliza at the door since she insisted on throwing the trash away.

"So, first is the NICU, right?" The hummed in response, she was mostly consumed with drinking the frozen coffee. As they exited the cafeteria and entered the semi-busy hallways, Mae took Eliza's hand in hers while she skipped next to the older woman. Eliza gave it a loving squeeze as they walked.

The elevator opened on the appropriate floor. Both stepped out into the peacefully silent area. Mae threw away her now empty cup, using the automatic hand sanitizers station to clean up as much as possible. She covered her face with a medical mask and stood in front of the large window.

The babies laid in their temporary little beds, some sleeping the others wide awake. Mae was in awe of them. They were adorable with their little feet and chubby cheeks. Their small noses and wide eyes full of wonder warmed her heart. How were people to make sure beautiful humans? She always asked herself that but it was more of a rhetorical question.

Even though all the babies had wires and tubes in them, Mae still only saw their beauty. She genuinely hoped that they would be able to go home with their families soon. She hoped they all got the love and kindness they deserved.

She placed her hand on the glass, her eyes moving to all of the babies. "You'll be okay," she whispered as if they could hear her. She had to believe they would make it because they had so much to look forward to. She thought about how one of them could be a famous actor or actress in a few years. It truly made her happy.

Eliza stood in the doorway watching the way Mae behaved around the children. All the nurse had ever wanted was for Mae to find happiness, to grow old and have kids. She still held that hope, that blind hope that her little girl would be able to leave this hospital. She wanted her to see and explore the world. To eat whatever she wanted and party like there was no tomorrow.

That was all she has ever wanted for her. All she will ever want for her. Mae was so kind and innocent she knew everyone would love her and she would be there to protect her when she needed to be.

++++

"Mr. Overton, how have you been?" The old man smiled, a few teeth were missing but it was still a honest, caring smile.

"Really good. I have so much to tell you." Eliza had decided to help with the other patients while Mae chatted with her friend.

"You remember the camera I told you about? Well I got rid of it. I knocked the sucker down, right off the wall. TUH! They ain't gone spy on me, no siri!"

"Mr. Overton you are one smart cookie. The government doesn't know who they're messing with."

"You darn right they don't. They done replaced the nurses with robots. I'm telling you Mae, I know everything. You better be careful, there's eyes everywhere," he whispered eyeing the nurses. Mae giggled, her eyes following his.

"I am. And Nurse Kyle is helping. She's not one of them, I promise." Taking her word, Mr. Overton nodded. He sat back on the couch, picking up his cup of lemonade.

"Did you hear about the drones in the sky?"

+++

"Mama, can I see Anatoly?" Eliza nodded, leading her to the door where Igor stood. He perked up when he noticed them approaching.

"I'm going to make sure they're preparing your dinner right and I'll set everything up in your room, okay?"

"Okay mama." Mae kissed her cheek and thanked Igor who held the door open for her.

"Toly!" She squealed hopping to him. His eyes lit up at the nickname, a smirk coming onto his face.

"Svetlyachok, you come back." The girl bounced her head, hugging the man. He returned it, rubbing her sides.

(Firefly.)

"I like," Anatoly said admiring the black dress that hugged her perfectly. Mae blushed, playing with her earring. She wore the dress not only for herself but to see if he would notice and bow that he had, she didn't know how to act.

"Thank you. I have so much to tell you, Toly." She slide off her shoes and climbed onto the bed. She sat on her knees next to him, her hand on his shoulder while the other rested on her lap. Anatoly watched her, taking in her perfect features.

"This morning, I talked to Nurse Kyle and told her I wanted her to be my mama and she said she always wanted to be my mama so now I have a mama! And then we-well I had chocolate chip pancakes and mama got me Starbucks and..."

Anatoly listened to her story, the happiness on her face and in her voice was unmistakable. He felt happy just seeing her that way. She hand moved as she rapidly talked, recalling everything she had done that day. He adored every moment of it, nodding his head along with her. Not once did his eyes stray, he didn't want to miss anything.

*****

I am in love with chapter too. It warmed my heart. If any of you read my other book, Little Bunny, you know I wanted to try changing the way I update.

Scratch EVERYTHING I said. I'm not changing it. I honestly don't want to focus on one book at a time, I feel like I work better when there's more than one. I know I know, I'm indecisive but don't hate me. I try y'all, I really do but I never really stick to one idea or decision. I overthink too much.

Anyways, how are you liking the chapter? Do you think their relationship is too fast? Too slow? Should I change anything? Honest feedback is very important so please let me know.