08

Mae

Mae

"Mama, can I sleep with Toly?"
"Not tonight sweetheart, give him some space." I pouted at her response. Since the first time I slept in his room, about a month or so ago, that's the only place I've wanted to sleep since then. He gave me comfort and helped fill the void of loneliness that hid inside me.

I know mama was just worried he would get annoyed with me in his space so much but he genuinely seemed to enjoy my company. Maybe it was an act but I held onto the belief that it wasn't.

Turning away, I threw a tantrum as I walked into the bathroom with my clothes. It didn't take long for me to finish my night routine and stomp back into the room. I huffed getting into my own bed and threw the covers over my head.

I laid there wide awake for hours. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore. I fell from the bed and gathered my blanket and stuffed monkey. Quietly opening my door, I peeked into the hall and made a run for it.

I knocked on Anatoly's room door before pushing it open. I gently closed it behind me. I turned around just to be met with four sets of eyes. They intimidated me, making me blush in embarrassment.

"Svetlyachok, I wait for you." My eyes found Toly's brown ones. He beckoned for me to come closer. I sidled to him, easily clambering onto the bed. He laid back, pulling me into his side. I twisted around, finding the most comfortable spot with my head shoved in the side of his neck.

"Toly, what does that word mean?"
"Svetlyachok?"
"Mhm," I whispered while nodding my head. He pulled back to look me in the eyes.

"Firefly. My firefly." His eyes were intense and nothing but honesty dripped from his voice. I know my face was red and it was mortifying. I tried averting my eyes but they always went back to his. Embarrassed, I quickly hid my face in his side. His body gently shook and I knew he was laughing.

"It's not funny," I whined tapping his chest.
"Sorry." He replied but I could hear the smile in his voice. It got quiet after, not awkward but peaceful. My thumb traced over his scars. There were a lot and I kind of wondered where and how he got them, but I also knew that it had to be personal so I didn't want to pry.

Slowly, my eyes started to grow heavy. I tried fighting it, shaking my head a few times. However, that didn't work for long. I finally decided not to fight it anymore and let myself rest.

++++

I woken up the next morning by my clearly upset mother yet I couldn't bring myself to regret sneaking in here.

"Come on Mae, you have to get dressed." I yawned and sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes before stumbling out of the bed. I semi-blindly followed mama to my room.

"Mae, what did I tell you last night?"
"Mama-"
"Mae you need to give Mr. Beletsky some space. I told you that yesterday and you deliberately disobeyed me."