| 6 |

september 16th, 1976

*✭˚・゚✧*・゚*✭˚・゚✧*・゚* *✭˚・゚✧*・゚*✭˚・゚✧*

after just a few weeks at hogwarts cath had realized three things: 1. james definitely wanted her to put in a good word with lily, 2. the 'mauraders' (as she would learn they were called) who were already a handful on the hogwarts express, were even more of a trip outside of a closed of train compartment, and 3. they definitely only took interest in her because she was american. cath didn't mind that though, she definitely saw the benefits of having a group of seeming popular troublemakers as her acquaintances and she definitely did not plan on making enemies of the boys. she had quickly gotten at least somewhat close with a few of the other gryfindor girls and was still friendly with the rest. in specific, and almost solely at the request of mr. james potter, she got close with lily evans, much to the glasses wearing boys delight, due impart to the fact that she was an excellent tutor. lily was capital s Smart, no doubt about it but she was also extremely kind, so cath was over the moon when she offered to help her out with anything she was behind on. cath could see why james would pine over such and intelligent and kindhearted individual, though lily seemed a lot less kind around the potter boy no matter how much cath tried to subtly sway her in his direction.

cath also made a conscious effort to befriend members of other houses, she knew that in the short time that she would be at hogwarts she wouldn't amass a social circle like the one she had back home but she still knew that it was good to have friends in different places. she really took a liking to the ravenclaw students who reminded her of her old horned serpent house so much so that she questioned the sorting hats decision to exclude her from the eagle bearing students that shared her wit. specifically she had found three students though that seemed like people she could get on with for years to come, anita hays was a sixth year like cath who reminded her a lot of delia right down to their tiny frames and big blue eyes, everett hays (anita's older brother) was a seventh year and an excellent charms tutor, and lila commins a sixth year who despite going to hogwarts since she was 11 seemed almost more clueless than cath.  anita and everett were ravenclaws, as were everyone in their family she had learned, but lila was a gryfindor like her. lila, she would come to realize, was absolutely boy crazy and, for lack of a better word, a bit of a whore (though she would never say that to her face). what she lacked in the logic department she more than certainly made up for with her stunning good looks so it wasn't a surprise when the tall blonde always seemed to have a new boy of the week and this time it was (equally whore-y) sirius black.

*✭˚・゚✧*・゚*✭˚・゚✧*・゚* *✭˚・゚✧*・゚*✭˚・゚✧*

'i just cannot get away from these boys, can i?'

and she really couldn't. if she was studying with lily james was sure to appear to 'court his lily-flower' or lily-pad or whatever other pet name he choose to irritate lily with. if she was with lila she was going to be with sirius too, and she knew from prior experience that when they broke up all she would hear about is how awful sirius black is. and, objectively the least intrusive of all, 9/10 if she was in the library with anita or everett remus lupin would be there too. now, if it was any of the other boys who frequented the library she would be fine but she found remus positively distracting.

*✭˚・゚✧*・゚*✭˚・゚✧*・゚* *✭˚・゚✧*・゚*✭˚・゚✧*

"hellooo...?" everett snapped in her face
"hey, earth to cath!!"
cath realized that she had zoned out while listening to everett attempt to teach her charms and she found herself staring at a certain unusually tall boy.
"oh, sorry!! i guess i just kinda zoned out there..."
everett eyed her up and down and then turned around to see what cath had been looking at, when he spotted remus he voiced a snarky "mmhmm" while side eyeing cath.
"i don't know what you're 'mmhmm'-ing, i just physically cannot study charms, i guess my body just refuses to learn pointless subjects." cath shrugged, trying to change the subject. it worked seeing as everett, very offended on the behalf of charms, began angrily telling her about the benefits of the benefits of the subject
"- and another thing..."

cath knew it wasn't exactly the nicest thing to ignore her friend in favor of staring at a boy but that's exactly what she was doing.