Chapter 1

Something nudges me awake.

I'm too tired to open my eyes so I roll over and cover my head with my blanket. I don't want to get up. I ignore the constant growls coming from my alarm clock, also known as Toothless.

Then my blanket is ripped from my grasp and a wet, sticky sponge starts attacking my face.

"Toothless stop! Stop! Ok ok I'm up! I'm up! You win," I give up.

I push Toothless off of me and sit there for a second. Why is Toothless so eager to get up?

Wait, what day is it again? Oh!

I jump out of bed and quickly get dressed. I completely forgot! Today the village is giving me a day off which means no saddle building, no chieftain duties, just me and Toothless flying free and continuing our map.

I race out the door, heart pounding. But once I step outside my heart drops, my face falls.

Dark, threatening clouds are falling in from the North.

"Hiccup!"

I turn and see Astrid running towards me.

"I figured you'd be flying by now!"
"Hello milady. And I just woke up but I'm about to take off."
Astrid and I walk to the cliff.

"Hiccup I don't think you should be flying when those clouds are moving in. It looks like a pretty bad storm."
"Hey, I'll be fine! We need this break and I don't want to disappoint Toothless!"
"And I don't want to disappoint myself," I mumble under my breath. Astrid rolls her eyes knowing that she won't win this.
"We can give you a different off day Hiccup! It looks dangerous,"
"Stop worrying! I'll be back tonight! Besides, we've been through worse, right bud?" Toothless grunts in reply.
" Be careful Hiccup,"
"I always am. Come here you," I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her close.
"I will see you before dark," I smile down at her.
"You better keep that promise or I'm gonna have to kick your ass," she teases back at me.

I shake my head and laugh at her threat.
Then I pull her in close and connect my lips with hers. She kisses back sweetly and pulls away to lay her head on my chest. I kiss the top of her head before pulling back and holding her arms length away.

"I love you," I tell her as I tuck a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. I love these small moments I get to have with her. Thor I'm so lucky to have her.
I smile and turn away to hop on Toothless.

"I love you," Astrid replies with a sparkle in her eyes. I goofily salute her, causing her to giggle at my dorkiness.

Then I nudge Toothless and we take off.

"Hey bud don't let me ever hurt that angel. And if I do, push me off a cliff if she doesn't push me first."
Toothless makes a sound resembling a laugh and shakes his head.

Yeah I'm sure he'd love to shove me off a cliff.
"Haha," I shake my head at the thought and, with a grin on my face and a tiny doubt in the back of my mind, we fly in the direction of the clouds.

Author's note:

Thanks for picking my fanfic to read!
Enjoy!
~H