Chapter 21

We let go and our arms drop to our sides.
"So how in the world did someone like you end up in a place like this?" He asks.
"Do I look that out of place?"
"Dude you're half the size of everyone else in this village, you hide in the shadows not at all looking mysterious, and you walk with a painful limp."
"Hey you're the same size as me," I snap back.
"Fine then, other than me."
"Is the limp that noticeable?"
"I can see you physically flinch every time you land on your right leg. And I can see that your left foot is, well, gone."
I mentally roll my eyes.
"I see you're very observant. It's kind of annoying," I reply.
"It helps when everyone else you live around are complete idiots. Come on, I have a better place we can talk," he gestures to follow him. I fall in line next to him and we walk farther into the woods. A few minutes later Patch abruptly stops in front of a large tree.
"We're here!" He spreads his arms out. I look around confused, seeing nothing but more trees.
"Um... is this a joke?" I ask. He laughs and shakes his head.
"Look up."
I tilt my head upwards only to see a huge oak tree spread out in the sky, nothing unusual.
Before I can sigh, Patch picks up a rock and throws it up into the leaves of the tree.
"What-"
"Just wait," Patch cuts me off.
Then a rope falls from the branches and he grabs hold, climbing up the trunk and disappearing into the leaves. I stand there confused for a few seconds before something falls from above hitting me in the head. I look down and see the rock.
"Are you just gonna stand there and admire the rope or are you gonna climb it!" I hear him yell from above. I grab the rope and climb up. When I break through the leaves my eyes widen in surprise. It's a tree house! I climb up through the well hidden hole in the floor and stand up on hard wood. The room I'm standing in is about the size of two of my rooms combined. Hanging from the ceiling is an oil lamp which he must have just turned on. On one wall hangs two hammocks on top of one other. In a corner there's a pile of blankets and cloaks and clothes. Then on another wall there's a small window that shows a view above the trees. On the wall behind me there's a basket of pans, bowls and plates, and in another corner there lies an ax, a sword, and a black bow and arrow. I look over at Patch with an impressive look and he laughs.
"That's not all. Check this out."
He pulls down a door on the roof and a ladder falls down. He climbs up. I, of course, follow him. I stand up and look around. I'm at the top of the tree house and the view is the perfect lookout for everything down below.
"Isn't it the best lookout?"
I laugh "I was just thinking that! Wow you must have worked hard on this. It's impressive!"
"Ya no one can ever find this place cause I hid it so well, you know? It's the perfect hideout. And, well for me, the perfect home," he lowers his voice and looks down.
"It must get lonely up here," I say apologetic.
"Ya no one back in the village cares about me. I just hang around during feasts and sneak supplies."
I can't imagine what it's been like for him. We go back down into the tree house and sit on the floor. He offers me a loaf of bread and I gladly accept it. After a few minutes, Patch's voice breaks the silence.
"Where are all the women and children?"
He looks down.
"They were smart enough to pack up and sail of to a better land when these jerks overtook our village. Many of our good hearted men left with the women and children before these idiots could kill them all. I was dragged from a boat by one of the barbarians and they said they would let my people leave if I stayed. I was an orphan from the start so I didn't have anywhere to go. I agreed and this is where I am 4 years later."
"I'm sorry," I say.
"It's not your fault."
Then I notice a beautiful ax in the corner. I walk over to it and pick it up, admiring the hand carved designs in the handle.
"Where's you get this?"
"It was my sister's."
"You have a sister? Well where is she?"
I look back over to him and watch his shoulders sag.
"She died when the men raided our village," he says in a sad voice.
"Oh man I'm so sorry," I set the ax back down and walk back over to him. "I didn't know," I whisper sympathetically as I sit down next to him.
"It's okay. You asked, and I answered."
A few minutes of silence go by before Patch looks back up at me. He chuckles.
"Dude. You look horrible."
"That bad huh?"
"You look sick."
At the mention of that a sharp pain shoots up my leg and I wince. Trying to hide my discomfort I shift positions only to receive a new throbbing headache and a wave of nausea.
"Okay first of all I totally saw you wince. And second of all your skin just went from peachy to white really fast."
Sighing my defeat I lean back and lie down.
"Just give me a second," I whisper.
I can tell he listened because he doesn't respond. I cover my eyes with my hand and take a few deep breathes. After about ten minutes the nausea subsides and my headache returns to the abyss of my mind ready to reveal itself soon. I sigh loudly and open my eyes. I find Patch sitting against the wall next to me admiring an arrow, waiting patiently.
Without looking down at me, patch's mouth opens. "So what's your story Hiccup." He almost demands in a serious voice. I grunt and look back at the ceiling, taking a deep breath. He seems to trust me so it's time to put a little trust into him.