The voice

(This is a short chapter and from Alana's P.O.V!. Next update will be Wednesday:)

Alana

Cold water fill my lungs. I'm drowning. The more my body sinks to the bottom the darker it gets. I violently kick my legs but I can feel myself giving up. Right as I'm about to quit my fight and let the ocean take me, I hear a voice. It's distant and muffled but yet I hear it calling to me. It's sweet and soft, gentle. A woman's voice that I don't recognize but I can hear her calling me.

"Alana" her voice is louder this time and it sounds delicate as if she's singing to me.

"Im here with you honey" she says. My body continues to sink deeper and deeper but I don't feel the water in my lungs anymore. It isn't hard to breathe. I slowly open my mouth. How am I able to breathe?

"I never left you, Alana. You were the best thing in my life" the voice continues. Everything around me is getting darker as I sink lower. Light shines from above but it's so far away... I'm too tired to swim to the light.

"He took you away from me... he took me away from you...the answers are there but you have to search for them."
************************************************

My body jolts up and I struggle to find my breathe. I can hear my heartbeat in my ears. JJ jumps up next to me, his eyes wide filled with terror and confusion. My hair is sticking to my face and my back feels warm. I'm sweating.

"Hey hey" he reaches his hand out and touches my arm. "What's wrong? You okay?" His voice is raspy. My chest continues to fall and rise. When I look around I realize everyone is still asleep. The sky was still dark above us but there was a sliver of light indicating the sun will be up soon. I wipe my hand across my forehead and swallow before answering him.

"I-I" the words fail to come out of my mouth. I've never had a dream like this before... I'm not even sure what it was but that voice...

"Alana" JJ says. "Look at me" he takes his thumb and index and gently turns my face to him. I'm still out of breathe but I feel my muscles relax as I look into his eyes. My heartbeat slows.

"You're okay. You're safe A I promise," he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear, "it was just bad a dream" he whispers. But it wasn't a bad dream really. I can still hear the voice in the back of my head. There's no way I can go back to sleep.

"I'm going to the dock. I don't think I'll be able to go back to sleep..." I slowly bring my legs over the hammock and feel the earth beneath my bare feet. Before I can completely get myself out I feel JJs hand around my wrist.

"I'll come with you"
"No it's okay, you should get some sleep"
"I wanna go with you... you can tell me about your dream if you want" his eyes are barely open. I want to tell him to go back to bed but he rolls out of the hammock before I can say anything. He looks back to make sure he didn't wake anyone up but the snores prove that everyone was still knocked out.

"Come on" JJ rubs his eyes as he takes my hand in his. I don't try arguing with him. Instead I feel my stomach flutter at his touch. We quietly walk away from the group and to the dock. I inhale deeply and exhale. Everything felt peaceful and quiet, the only sounds coming from the birds.

"You talk in your sleep ya know?" JJ sits down on the edge and pats the spot next to him. I let out a small laugh. I still felt tired but I know after that dream I wouldn't go back to sleep.

"Hopefully I don't spill any secrets while I'm asleep."
"I think you said something about you having a crush on someone.. can't remember what name you said" JJ pretends to think.

"What?" I say, really wanting to know if I said that or he's joking with me.

"Yeah you kept saying this name over and over it was Umm... ahh" his face lights up. "JJ! He sounds like a cool dude"

"I did not say that" I shake my head laughing. JJ smirks.

"Mmmm, I think you did" our arms brush against one another.

"You wish that happened" I joke but at the same time I know deep down I wish he would tell me if he did wish that. I know I wish I was brave enough to tell him how he makes me feel.

He leans closer to me and rests his head on my shoulder. The contact sends chills down my body. I stare down at my feet. My mind wanders back to the woman's voice. I can see JJ watching me from my peripheral vision.

"Was it about your father?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"I was drowning... at first but then out of nowhere as I felt myself giving up not wanting to go forward anymore I heard this voice" I tilt my head remembering how far it sounded but beautiful. "It kept saying my name."

"Huh" JJ mumbles. "Do you know who it was?" He lifts his head and looks at me.

"No... but the voice was so lovely. When I heard it my body kind of went numb and I no longer felt like I was going to die. It was weird because I was able to breathe again while I was still under but I didn't want to swim to it. The voice."

The words play over in my head again. He took me away from you. Those words made me feel scared and confused. Someone took me away. There were so many thoughts going through my head.

"Did it say anything else to you other than your name?" My eyes were still on my feet as JJ spoke to me.

"Yeah" I say very quietly. It didn't make sense to me.
"She kept saying she never left me and I was the best thing to happen to her and that I need to search for answers"

"She?" I look at JJ this time and nod my head. We look at each other in silence for a moment before I say my thought out loud though it sounds crazy.

"I think it was my mom..."