Ferris Wheels

Lexi Conway woke up from her nap to knocking on her front door. She got off her couch and shuffled to the door, hugging the blanket closer to herself as she opened the front door.

She was having a relaxing Saturday evening before the JV team had a long practice on Sunday to brush up on their skills for the showdown.

"Oh, hey gorgeous." Lexi yawned, stepping to the side so Adam could walk into her house.

"You're not ready." He pointed out, causing the girl to raise her eyebrow in confusion.

"Our carnival date? We planned it two days ago?", He reminded her. Lexi's eyes widened. "memory of a goldfish" she muttered to the boy tapping her head, causing him to grin.

Lexi quickly raised her hand motioning for the boy to hold on and ran up her stairs, Adam laughed to himself and looked around the girl's lounge room, letting out a soft smile as he saw the image of the pair of them on their first day of daycare, both holding hands and letting out big smiles.

Adam laughed slightly as he remembered how shy the girl was.

A three-year-old Lexi and a four-year-old Adam stood with their mothers outside their new daycare centre, the boy was excited but Lexi found herself feeling quite scared of the new environment.

The girl found herself clinging to her mother as the door was opened and the group of four stepped inside.

The teacher approached and immediately began speaking to the two mothers, Lexi and Adams eyes drifting around the room, taking in their new surroundings.

They spoke to her for a while before turning their attention to their children, both women kneeling down. "You be a good girl okay Lexi? Mommy will pick you up in a few hours" Isabelle spoke softly.

"This is scary Mommy" the girl muttered softly, Anne Banks heard the interaction and turned to her son, quietly leaning in so Lexi and her mother couldn't hear.

"I want you to make sure you look after Lexi okay? Can you be a big boy for me" the women asked causing Adam to grin. "Of course Mommy, I'm a big boy, ill protect her".

Anne pecked her sons forehead "I love you" she told the boy, "I love you too" he said back as he wrapped his small arms around his Mother.

As the pair pulled away Anne turned to see Lexi in her mothers arms, "I. Love. you" Isabelle said, placing kissing on the girls head at every word.

Lexi giggled before giving her mother a quick hug as well, the two mothers hopped up and waved to their children before leaving.

The two watched as their parents left and another teacher began to approach them, Lexi moving to hide behind Adam.

"I don't want to Addy, I miss Mommy," the girl said from behind the boy as she gripped his shirt, wanting the comfort of her best friend.

"It's okay Lex Lex," the boy said softly as he gently took a hold of her hand and tugged her forward allowing the small girl to be standing beside him.

She didn't let go of the boy's hand as she looked at her teacher. "Hi, I'm Army, ill be your teacher," the women said softly as she bent down to look at the two children who were seemingly attached at the hip.

"Im Adam and this is Lexi" the boy spoke for the two, sending the teacher a smile, the teacher looked over to the small girl and found her looking at her friend, watching to see what he would do next.

Army simply sent the two a smile, putting Lexi at ease slightly. "I've got two cubbies over here with your names on them, right next to each other, does that sound good? We can put our bags down" the women informed softly.