Chapter three

Bonnie repeated the eerie words, it wasn't her voice speaking, but multiple people at once, going through her.

"One born of the blood of a doppelgänger
shall be the one to quell his anger
Generations saved
Power found that once was craved"

When she finished, she shook her head as if coming out of a daze. "I didn't get a read from it, sorry" she spoke as if nothing ever happened.

Everyone stared at Bonnie, Elena breaking the silence "what was that?"

"Maybe it was a prophecy?" Jeremy suggested "it's like in the video games I play, the story mode, there's some prophecy and the players have to figure it out before the world ends or something" he elaborated at the blank looks he received.

"We can't catch a break!" Tyler exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air and sighing

"So another end of the world scenario, big deal, we've faced it and won before" Damon smirked.

"Okay, so 'one born of the blood of a doppelgänger' that's me" Elena started "who's anger am I supposed to be quelling?"

"And the next line 'generations saved' that's kind of ominous" Caroline complained.

"Power found that once was craved, the only power hungry guy I know is Klaus" Damon paced around the room.

I checked my watch, I had made an appointment with a genealogist who managed to trace my family line.

"I'm sorry, but I'm late for something that's rather important, since this 'prophecy' has nothing to do with me, I'm just going to go" I stood from the couch I sat at, and started walking to the door.

"Wait" Damon stepped in front of me. "I'll take you" he went to touch my shoulder, but pulled back at the last second, remembering what would happen if he did touch me.

"Damon, please" he hesitated before stepping aside. "Thank you"

...

"So you told me you tracked my family?" I asked the man, he adjusted his large square glasses.

"Yes, I did, a bloodline in fact, dating all the way back to Bulgaria, I couldn't go further than that because they're just gone" he handed me a folder that my family tree, branching out over generations. "Now there's a lot of gaps, but there are your family members, I believe your mother is called Jamie Flemming, she had a sister named Isobel Flemming" he showed me where Jamie was on my family tree.

"Do you know where she is?" He shook his head, causing me to sigh, even if I couldn't meet my mother, I'm glad I got to know my family tree. "Listen, thank you for this" I pulled out his last payment, a little money I had saved up.

He nodded, picking up his check. "It was a pleasure Daisy"

I continued to look at my family tree, grinning because I've finally found my family. I felt a presence in front of me, causing me to glance up.

"Hello" I greeted happily. The blonde woman seemed taken aback.

"Hello" she had an accent, cool.

"I'm Daisy" I held out my hand, which she took

"Rebekah, may I sit?" After a nod she took a seat. "So what's got you so happy?" She raised an eyebrow.

"My family, I finally found out who they are" I grinned.

"Family is overrated" she replied, drawing shapes on the table with her finger.

"What's on your mind Rebekah?" I asked, making her head shoot up.

"Why do you ask? we've only just met" she cocked her head to the side.

"Just a friendly person who will happily lend an ear, if you need it" I shut my folder containing my family history, giving Rebekah my full attention.

"My brother is being difficult, he is too stubborn"

"Oh yeah? What'd he do?" I smiled softly.

"He insists I give my heart too freely, but then anytime I actually think I find love, he.... scares them off"

"Well you deserve the world Rebekah, your brother sounds like a butthead to me" she smiled.

"Butthead?" She laughed.

"I'm not very fond of cussing, so I have my own little phrases, Damon makes fun of me when I use them but I think they're a better replacement" we laughed.

"Damon? As in Damon Salvatore?" She was curious now.

"Yeah, he's my best friend, do you know him?" I shifted in my seat, I'd only just learned about the supernatural, what if she was one of them?

"Yes I know him, I just didn't know he was hiding a delightful little friend like you" she gave me a smile.

"You're one of them aren't you?" I tilted my head to the side.

"One of what, might I ask?" She raised an eyebrow.

"You know, the first vampires? Damon and Stefan have told me about you guys, but I wanted to make that decision myself" the boys weren't particularly fond of that trait, but I liked to know people before deciding something about them.

"We're called the Originals darling, my question is, why aren't you afraid?" she tilted her head slightly.

"I'm more curious than anything, besides we've got a dilemma, Bonnie said she doesn't even know what it is, and I was hoping maybe one of the oldest vampires in existence would know what it meant" I was suddenly very sheepish, and I felt bad, I felt like I was only using Rebekah, even if that wasn't my intention.

"What seems to be the problem?" I could tell by the way she leaned forward she was interested in what I was saying. 

"I woke up this morning, I suddenly had this appear on my wrist" I showed her the two black letters, they stood out in stark contrast against my pale skin. "And anytime a guy so much as touched my hand, it feels like my skin is on fire"

She examined the letters on my wrist. "What does NM stand for?" She asked

"I don't know, New Mexico?" At her raised eyebrow I backtracked. "Kidding, I really have no idea, they just appeared"

"Hello" a voice greeted "sister" I looked to see it was Klaus, the guy that Stefan and Damon had warned me about.

"Hi" I relied.

"What are you two doing?" He asked

"We were looking at Daisy's mysterious tattoo that showed up this morning" Rebekah replied.

"Why NM?" He asked curiously, he reached out, and before I could stop it, he'd touched the letters.

Expecting to feel the heat, I pulled away, but when I didn't feel anything I looked up at Klaus.

"Give me your hand" I held mine out expectantly.

"Why?" He asked, glancing at his sister.

"Yes, why? Didn't you say that it hurt when other guys even touched your hand?" Rebekah looked slightly worried.

"I don't know, but when Klaus touched my wrist I didn't feel anything, so I'm testing something." I gestured for him to grab my hand, and reluctantly he did. "That's so weird, there's absolutely nothing" I observed.