Chapter fifteen

Klaus took me back to the boarding house, where Mr. Saltzman and Elena were waiting with the Salvatore boys.

As soon as I stepped in the door, I was almost immediately hugged by Stefan, quickly followed by Damon.

"How are you doing?" Stefan asked when Damon and I broke apart.

"I'm doing okay, Klaus helped distract me" I glanced to my soulmate who was leaned against the door frame causally.

"So" Damon drew my attention back to him. "Stefan and I are going to go with Klaus for a little while, Ric and Elena are here, and you're going to be safe, okay?"

"Don't kill anyone please" Damon rolled his eyes.

"Promise" he replied, but he was obviously lying.

Nodding, I waved to them, sharing one last look with Klaus before turning to the library. Elena and Mr. Saltzman were staring at me while I walked to the shelves to pick a book. That's what I needed, book, music, and ice cream.

"Bonnie told me you have a soulmate" Elena blurted out, she looked like she was about to explode.

I raised an eyebrow at her before turning back to the bookshelves. "Oh?"

"Do you know who it is?" She asked, while I pulled a book that might be helpful in decoding the prophecy that seemed to follow me everywhere. The book itself was rather dusty so I doubt either boy has ever even touched it.

"I do" I replied, turning with my findings and walking to the kitchen, Elena and Mr. Saltzman followed me, the latter carrying a large black duffel bag.

"Who is it?" Elena persisted, the teacher only looked half interested in our conversation, while I set the ancient book in the counter in pursuit of a bowl.

"That's kind of my business" I rolled my eyes, tugging the freezer door open and digging through it for some of the frozen goodness that is vanilla ice cream.

"She has a point" Mr. Saltzman chimes in.

"She has a soulmate, aren't you even a little interested?" She raised an eyebrow at our shared history teacher.

"Whatever Elena, right now I'm going to eat ice cream, and try to settle down from my massive panic attack I had on my date, okay?" I spoke, slightly irritated that Elena tried to push this topic.

I grabbed my earbuds from off the counter, pulling up my music app, and playing a specific playlist that always helped after I got a major attack. I shoved the phone into my back pocket, placing the earbuds into my ears and served up my ice cream.

"Ric" I heard Elena complain, I always found it so weird that she called our teacher by his first name, no not even his first name, by a nickname, my foster parents sucked but they always taught me to be respectful.

Balancing my bowl in one hand and grabbing the book with the other, I sat down on the bench at the table. How I wished Kol or Rebekah, even Elijah were here while Klaus was gone, they were more entertaining than Elena and Mr. Saltzman.

I opened the yellowed pages carefully, placing it far enough so I couldn't accidentally spill on it, but I could still read it.

It started to explain a lot about destiny, before I could get further though, Mr. Saltzman was waving to get my attention. I pulled my earbuds out, the music so loud you could hear it even when the earbuds were on the table.

"What are you reading about?" He asked, settling down on the bench opposite me.

"I'm trying to research prophecies" I carefully shut the book, remembering my page, and pushing it further away from me so I could have a conversation.

"Any particular reason?" He raised an eyebrow, Elena sat next to him, and I suddenly felt like I was being interrogated.

"You remember when my tattoo first showed up right?" I glanced at the doppelgänger, before turning my attention back to the older man.

"Yeah, you took the whole supernatural being real thing pretty well" he laughed breathlessly.

"I just figured there are worse monsters out there" I shrugged "anyway Bonnie did that super creepy prophecy, and it says 'born from the blood of a doppelgänger' which I'm descended from Katarina Petrova, Klaus' family told me she was a doppelgänger, and I have a soulmate, so I was thinking I was the subject of the prophecy instead of Elena." The two people across from me had their jaws hanging open, looking shocked.

"If you're descended from Kathrine, does that mean you're related to me?" Elena asked

"I don't know, my family line ends after me, my mom had a twin though, her name was Isobel" I replied

"Isobel was my mom" Elena sighed "I didn't know she had a sister"

"Neither did I" my eyebrows knit together as I looked at Mr. Saltzman. "I was married to Isobel, she had a baby with Elena's biological dad, before we got married, so technically I would be her step-dad" he clarified, gesturing to Elena.

Well that explained why she always called him by his first name.

"So if Elena and I are cousins that would make you my step-uncle" I realized "which means I still have family that's alive?"

I think we were all in shock, because at that moment, we just kind of gaped at each other.

Seeming to snap out of it first, Elena spoke. "And you have another cousin, Jeremy, he's my cousin too, but he's also my adopted brother" she smiled

"Welcome to our super complicated family" my step-uncle grinned.