Chapter sixteen

I heard the door open, newly dubbed Ric grabbed his duffle bag, evidently having heard the door too. He pulls out a wooden stake, and gets ready to throw it, while Elena sits next to me, trying to keep the both of us from making any noise that would alert a possible intruder to our presence.

"Hello?" Damon's voice called, he stepped closer to the kitchen in time to see Ric drop his weapon into his bag.

"Damon?" Elena sighed in relief, I grinned running up and hugging him.

"Where did you guys even go?" I raised an eyebrow stepping back.

"We solved a problem" Stefan spoke, walking in behind Damon and receiving a hug from me.

Narrowing my eyes, I looked between the two suspiciously. "Anyway" I spoke "Turns out my real family? I'm descended from Katarina Petrova, who is apparently Elena's relative which means we're related."

The boys seemed shocked for a second. "That's" Damon started.

"Really great" Stefan finished, elbowing Damon in the ribs. "We're really happy for you Daisy, right Brother?"

"Yep" he grunted, having been elbowed again.

"You guys are so weird" I shrugged "Kol ran with some witches like a hundred years ago" I began, sitting on a barstool at the counter, looking at both groups of people. "And there was a legend the witches told him about, a prophecy, and the subject of said prophecy was meant to have letters tattooed on their skin, like the ones I have, so we were thinking I was the person described in the prophecy instead of Elena"

"That would explain why you have a soulmate mark" Ric replied.

"But the prophecy says 'one born of the blood of a doppelgänger' " Elena protested

"Yes but I'm descended from a doppelgänger, so that would let me into the prophecy, now if you add my soulmate and I into the prophecy, it makes perfect sense" I argued.

Stefan stepped forward, and analyzing look in his eyes. "Do you know who your soulmate is?" He asked with a raised brow.

At this I dropped my gaze to my lap, not one of my friends who are welcome in this house will like this. "I mean, maybe" I replied glancing up at everyone. "I just know you'll hate it" I winced.

"Who is it?" Damon stepped forward, dead serious.

"Klaus" I sheepishly tucked my hair behind my ear, feeling a little tingly at saying his name.

"I'm sorry, who?" Ric stood also folding his arms.

"Klaus Mikaelson" I repeated, knowing they'd heard me the first time, they just didn't like my answer.

"But the letters on your wrist are NM, not KM" Elena stood up, by now the group had formed a semi-circle around me, while I pulled at the hem of my shirt.

"His full name is Niklaus Mikaelson, and that's the real reason why I moved into his mansion with his family. They were really good to me, and he kept the nightmares at bay" I defended, before dropping my gaze back to my lap, completely missing the softening looks of the brothers.

"What nightmares?" Ric and Elena demanded at the same time.

"Daisy, why don't you and Damon go up and watch a movie, and I'll catch up later" Stefan glanced at his brother, nodding slightly, and guided me off the stool.

"You took your meds today right Daisy?" Damon asked, earning a nod from me, he grabbed my hand and lead me up to his room where he always kept fluffy blankets for me when we had movie nights or he comforted me after a particularly nasty nightmare.

He went to set up the movie, most likely a superhero movie, where the bad guy always loses, and the good guy wins and lives happily ever after, while I sat on his bed curling up with one of my blankets.

The theme song of my favorite hero movie started to play, Damon and I sat together, laughing at the funny moments, and getting all choked up when the hero made it into a situation where the love interest is in danger.

"Is Stefan explaining why I have nightmares?" I asked suddenly, I felt Damon look at me while I was still cuddled into his side.

"Most likely, we wanted to prevent a panic attack" he explained, playing with my hair.

"What if he comes back Damon? What if he tries to take me again?" I mumbled, staring at the screen but not really taking what was going on, in.

"He won't, he will never come near you ever again, I made sure of it" he replied.

"You said you took care of a problem, was it him?" readjusting slightly I saw Damon's expression, he only gave a short, but hesitant nod in reply. "Thank you" I snuggled back in, fully relaxing for what felt like the first time in two years.

Damon and I watched the rest of the show in silence, finally falling asleep.