Part 3

You got off the table and examined the room not lowering your blade. It was bright white and smelled strongly of antiseptic. It was definitely a lab though. The tables were covered in test tubes, computer screens and wires were everywhere.

Then turning to the men in front, you looked them over carefully, trying not to miss any details.

The first one to your left was tall and slightly intimidating. His brown hair was cut short and his eyes were a beautiful grey-green color. He had a grim, cold look on his face but there was something in his eyes that said something else. That he would do anything for the people he loved. That deep down he was kind and caring. You felt that if you knew each other you would probably be close friends. He looked at you in curiosity. You returned the look without even knowing.

The man in the center was even taller than the first one. Not only that he was young. Very young. You guessed him to be in his early twenties. You knew right away that he was smart and shy. The slightly hunched back, the shifting eyes, the shy way in which he looked at you, all the equipment surrounding him and the glasses on his face that made him look adorably innocent.  You nicknamed 'Spectacles'. He stared at you in wonder. You raised an eyebrow at him making him flustered.

You turned to the last man on your right. He had brown hair like the others and was shorter than the rest of them. Your eyes locked on his blue ones. They were uncomfortably familiar.

Then it hit you. In the forest. He had caught you when you were shot. They'd caught you and here you were. Caught. Again. You looked around, knowing that they were going to experiment on you again. You looked at the man remembering that he had said his name. What was his name?

"Charles Xavier." he said. "We're not going to hurt you. We're here to help." It was as if he had answered your question. As if he had read your mind and that he was a -.

"Telepath." you said through gritted teeth. You put up the wall in your mind, stopping him from hearing you. They stared at you. "You're a telepath. Aren't you? "

He chuckled. "Yes. I'm a telepath." he said tapping his temple.

"Okay." you said . "To make matters clear, I don't really like telepaths."

"May I ask why? Since you won't let me know." He said, his voice casual. You know he's trying to calm you down.

"It's just that when your put in a coma for twelve days because a telepath played with your mind, they don't exactly become your favorite people. I know what your kind can do."

"Sorry" He said it so sincerely that you felt a bit bad.

"It's okay," you said, "don't apologize. It's not like you did it." You looked at all of them and saw a kind of sincerity and kindness in their eyes. That they genuinely cared. You'd never seen that look on the people who cut you up and sewed you together and drew your blood and left you starving for days.  "You're really going to help me?" You said, hating how timid you sounded.

"Yes. We're not here to hurt you. Sorry about the needles but you needed them. You'd lost a lot of blood." Charles said.

You looked at the blood coming out of your arm. You looked back up at them. "So you're all mutants? "

The man on the left answered. "Yes, we're all mutants, my name is Erik Lensherr, and will you put down the fucking knife!"

Realizing that you'd been pointing it in their faces the entire time you put in down on the table with a clang.

"I forgot. " you said shyly. "Wait. What am I doing here? "

They looked at each other, surprised that one moment you had been a crazed blade wielding woman and the next you were being all nice and civil and asking a lot of questions.

"Well," Charles said, "there's this mutant, and he's about to start a nuclear war and kill a lot of people. So we've been going around finding other mutants and putting together a team to stop him. Would you like to join us? "

Your jaw hung open. The manner in which he asked you was as if he was asking if you wanted to join the girl scouts.

The room was suddenly quite. Spectacles broke the silence.

"I'm Hank by the way. " he said, walking up to you and extending his hand. "Hank McCoy. And you're so beautiful. "

As soon as the words left his mouth he blushed a deep burgundy. You laughed and mentally thanked your parents for your looks even though you couldn't remember them.

"Thank you Hank, that's very sweet of you." you said as you shook his hand.

"So?" Erik asked you. "Do you want to help us? "

After a moment of thought you answered his question with a question.

"What's in it for me? "

"Umm, you get to help people and kick ass? "

You smiled. "I've think I've kicked enough ass for a lifetime."

"From what I've seen your very powerful. We could use your help stopping Shaw." Hank said.

You froze. Hearing his name always gave you goosebumps. You couldn't help it as your lip began to tremble.

"I know why you look so familiar now." Erik said.

You frowned. You traveled a lot but you always covered up your tracks as best as you could.

"How so?" you asked him.

"I've seen you in the mirror." seeing your confused face he explained. " We both have that look in our eyes. I see it everytime I look in the mirror. Shaw."

"You too?" you whispered.

He smiled a sad but genuine smile.

"Me too." you both smiled at each other, that you had both found another person who each knew the others pain and what they'd gone through.

"I'll help you, but only to stop Shaw."

Charles grinned. "Thank you."

You went up to him. "I think it's about time we had a proper introduction."
You put out your hand. "I'm Kate. Kate Buchanan."

His eyes sparkled as he put his hand in your extended one. "Charles. Charles Xavier."

=======

Charles took Kate's hand in his and at that moment he knew that there was something about her. That she was special in a way he still didn't understand. In his thirty years he had never felt that way with any girl before. Not even Raven.
As Kate introduced herself properly to Erik, Charles was still trying to figure it out.

But what Charles also didn't know was that Erik was struggling to understand the exact same emotion Charles was feeling. That he also had felt it the moment he had laid eyes on her.
.
.
.
.
.
Little did they both know that what they were feeling was the start of an emotion.
Just a small spark that one day they would recognize as love.

But what was worse was that both friends had fallen for the same girl.

==========

Date - Sunday, 14 June, 2020
Time - 12:34 a.m.
Word count - 1004

Can you tell me what you're thinking of the story right now? And please vote!

Thank you!

C. Riverbend