Part 29

Charles's chest rose and fell rhythmically. You sat by his side, clutching onto his hand. The lines that normally adorned his face due to the pain were smoothed out.

He had taken the news about his spine well. Meaning that he would not ever be able to walk again.

Tears ran down from your eyes onto his hand that you held to your lips.

It kept coming back to you, no matter how hard you tried to ignore it. The sand, the smell of the sea, the waves lapping up onto the beach. The ships, hundreds of them all out there.

You shut your eyes as Cuba came thundering back.

=============

"Kate?! Oh God, please wake up! Come on love, open your eyes!"

You could hear Charles's muted voice like he was at the bottom of a well. You could feel your head resting on his chest and arm around you.

With a groan you opened your eyes. His face was beaming down on you. His blue eyes bright with tears.

"Kate! Oh thank heavens!"  Charles cried and held you tighter. "I thought I'd lost you."

You squirmed. "Fuck, that hurts." you put a hand to your head. You were slightly alarmed when you saw some blood. In Charles's hand there was a cloth slightly spotted with dark red brown.

"It's a small cut, it might be a permanent scar though. I thought I'd lost you." he said again.

You pulled his head down and gave him a kiss. "You already said that. And Charlie dear, I can't die, remember?"

He turned red in the face. Luckily for him Raven came to the rescue.

"Kate, thank goodness, your fine. Charles, we have a human nuke to stop."

He helped you up onto your feet. You both headed to the opening. No sign of Alex, Sean or Hank anywhere. Until you saw them outside fighting Shaw's goons for dear life. Moira was looking over the equipment, Raven seemed to be standing guard and Erik was about to head out. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw you.

"Are you heading to Shaw?" you asked. He nodded. "If you think your going after him alone, your wrong. I'm coming." Charles looked at you worriedly.

"Are you sure you're okay love?" he asked, dabbing at your head. You swatted his have away.

"Yes. Come on Erik, let's go get the piece of shit."

You turned around and gave Charles one final kiss before heading to the submarine with Erik.

"Love you." you whispered.

"Love you too." he whispered back. You turned around and saw Erik already near the sub. You have Charles another quick kiss before hurrying after Erik

You followed behind him as he took different turns. Eventually he stopped and started shouting. Presumably to Charles, not you.

"He's not here Charles! Shaw's not here! He's left the sub!" he shouted add he went around, circling the room. There was a slight pause before he started shouting again.

"And I'm telling you he's not! There's no one here goddammit!"

The wall that you'd been standing in front of suddenly opened and a figure wearing a suit and metal helmet appeared, still wearing his smirk.

"Erik! Kate! Both of you together! What a pleasant surprise." he said with a grin. "It's so good to see you again. Come in!"

Erik looked at you and you both walked in at the same moment. After a few steps, the wall behind you shut itself again.