Part 13

"Where's the telepath?" Shaw asked Azazel, not taking his eyes off of you.

"Not here." Azazel answered.

"Too bad." he said, "at least I can take this silly thing off. "

"Whatever the fuck it is your here for, I won't let you hurt them." you growled at him, shoving Angel behind you even more.

He gave you his classic look, "It's wonderful to see you again too." he answered cheerily

"Freeze!" an agent suddenly appeared with a gun in his hands.

"Azazel." Shaw called him. Azazel teleported and killed the man swiftly.

"My name is Sebastian Shaw, and I'm not here to hurt you" he said, the last phrase directly for you. You clenched your hands to stop them from shaking with fear and anger .

"My friends," he continued, only now does he turn his attention to everyone else, "there's a revolution coming. When mankind discovers who we are and what we can do. Each of us will face a choice, be enslaved or rise up to rule. Choose freely but know that if you are not with us, then by definition you are against us." he finished his speech looking at each of you individually.

"So you can stay," he said looking at you intently, "and fight for the people that hate and fear you. Or you can join me and live like kings...and queens."

He put his hand out for someone to take. From your right you saw someone teach out and take it.

"Angel." you heard Raven say in astonishment that she had taken his offer.

"Are you kidding me?" you heard someone say.

Angel looked at you, and you gave a her a tight smile. Though the others didn't get her point you understood her decision.

"Come on. We don't belong here. And there's nothing to be ashamed of." No one accepts her offer. Darwin puts his hand out for her to come back.  Instead she turns and walks out following Azazel.

Shaw was now the only one in the room. He grinned at you slyly.

"My, my. You've barely changed a bit since I saw you two years ago. Then again, you don't exactly age." he said.  "Come on, Kate . Join me. It'll be fun. For old times sake." he said extending his hand out for her to come back. Like he did to Angel.

Though his hand wasn't touching you, your knees started to feel like jelly and you couldn't stop yourself trembling.

"Aww." he cooed taking a step forward to you. Everyone stepped back except you. It probably looked brave that you were standing up to him but in fact you couldn't move. Your feet were cemented into the ground, and your entire body was stiff but shaking.

"That's a pity. But Kate, remember. No matter what happens, these people," his hand gave a short twirling-jerking motion to your friends behind you, "they will let you down. Including the telepath and Eric. It's just what people do. But I won't."

Your feet unfroze allowing you to step towards him. When he was right in front of you, you stopped. Though you trembled violently your voice was surprisingly steady.

"The only time I will ever join you is when hell freezes over." you stated in his face.

He sighed and pinched your chin with his thumb and forefinger, draining you of energy. Pain shot into your skin like a thousand white hot needles. He leaned down and whispered in your ear.

"I haven't had an anger episode once since you left, you shouldn't start one now." you doubled over gasping as he released your chin and walked away.

"F-fuck you." you stuttered through the fading pain.

"Stop. I'm coming with you. " you turn to see Darwin. He walks to Shaw, who is probably pleased, judging by the look on his face.

You jumped slightly when you felt an arm wrap around your shoulder. It was Raven. You were both the only girls now. You put an arm around her waist and followed everyone to the center of the room where you all watched the scene in play.

"Good choice." Shaw smirked. "So tell me about your mutation."

"Well, I adapt to survive so I guess I'm coming with you." Darwin answered.

"I like that." Shaw said directing him to Angel. As soon as Darwin reached her he shouted Alex's name.

"Get down!" Alex shouted.

"Alex! No!" you scream,realizing what he was going to do. Raven tugged you away as red energy rings emerged from his chest blasting into Shaw, who instead of dying had absorbed it.

He gave a sigh of satisfaction before turning to Darwin who had protected Angel from getting hit.

"Protecting your fellow mutants? That's a noble gesture." he said gripping Darwin's jaw forcing it open.With his free hand he made a small orb of glowing orange energy. "Adapt to this." said Shaw as he shoved it in between Darwin's lips.

Then he teleported in a cloud of red along with his team leaving you to watch as Darwin morphed into different materials trying to withstand the energy in him. He reached out to you all before exploding, unable to adapt to the nuclear level energy.

Raven appears beside you and you quickly pulled her into hug letting her sob about her friend.

Alex stood paralyzed staring at the ashes that floated down. He looked guilty. And you felt the same.

That you could have done something.That now a young man was gone and you could have done something to stop it. That you knew Shaw had only done it because of your remark.

And you were going to make him pay.

==========

Date - Wednesday, 1 July, 2020
Time - 5:15 a.m.
Word count - 958

My dad has been watching me and my phone like a hawk.

Also, watch out! A lot of Charles and some bits of Erik coming your way.

Here's two parts since I'm feeling generous and I love you guys. 😋😘

Hope your guys liked it. Took four days.

C. Riverbend