Part 8

With a crackle you appeared before the bench. Looking around, you felt pleased with yourself for finding such a nice place.

It was an open grassy area. The sound of crickets chirping filled your ears as you sat down. Taking a deep breath you stretched your arms out above your head. The facility was in clear sight so you could just walk when you wanted to go back.

Giving a groan of satisfaction after popping your neck you lied down on the bench using your arms as a pillow. The sky was filled with clouds tonight so you couldn't see the stars.

A soft breeze came by. You couldn't help but smile. Shaw had held you captive for more than ten years, all underneath ground so now open areas, grass and fresh air were invaluable things to you. No matter how many years more you roamed the earth you would be forever thankful. Not a single day would go by that you didn't smile when seeing the sun.

Letting the breeze take over, your eyelids drooped as your body relaxed.    Before letting yourself sleep you put up a mind barrier to prevent Frost from finding you telepathically.

Having done that you closed your eyes, letting a much needed rest come to you.

========

"Kate!"

"Where are you Kate?"

"Kate Buchanan!"

Shouts were heard all over the place as they looked for her. They had been everywhere. Double checking every nook and cranny but all in vain.

"Charles, what if Kate's not here? What if she left for...for Paris...or maybe Mongolia. She could be anywhere." Raven tried to reason with him.

Charles shook his head. "No, I'm absolutely sure she's here. I can still sense her."

Raven groaned unladylikely receiving a glare from Charles which she ignored. "We've been looking for two hours!"she whined. "If Kate wanted us to be able to find her, she wouldn't have hid so well."

"Charles!" Sean's voice entered his head. "I've found her! She's having a nightmare."

Charles put his fingertips up to his temple and spoke to Sean telepathically while saying everything out loud, letting Raven hear everything.

"Sean!" Charles shouted. "Whatever you do, don't-" he was cut off by a boyish scream. "Touch her." he grumbled making his way to where he had heard Sean.

By the time Charles and Raven got to Sean, the only people not there were Moira and Erik. They were all staring at Kate who was sleeping on a wooden bench. Sean was being helped up off the ground by Angel.

"He tried to shake her awake and just got blown back. I saw it." Angel said worriedly.

Charles merely nodded. "Electricity." he explained. When he had tried to wake Kate up he'd only felt static. Sean had been thrown back several feet.

He turned to the bench and edged up to it cautiously. He didn't know what she was seeing but he felt sorry for her.

Kate was scrunched up into a little ball, her knees pulled up to her chest. Shaking like a leaf in a harsh wind. Not from cold but from fear. Tears streaming down her face as she sobbed loudly, begging someone who was not there for mercy. Sometimes hiding her face in her knees trying to block out something.

Charles reached out and let his fingers graze Kate's shoulder. It was only for a split second that they rested there before he was thrown back. He wasn't thrown back as far as Sean but still a slight 'oof' left his lips.

Getting up he dusted himself a little bit. Charles glowered at Raven who was holding in a laugh. He could hear Erik's thoughts becoming more distinct as he came nearer.

Alex turned to Darwin. "Can you withstand electricity?" he asked.

Darwin shrugged. "I guess. Never tried it though." he said stepping towards Kate who was still crying.

Erik was now next to Charles and he could hear all of Erik's worried thoughts mirroring his own.

They held their breath as they watched Darwin poke Kate. They all let it out in unison as Darwin turned to stone, not getting electrocuted. He gave them a thumbs up before turning back to Kate who was now whimpering louder than before.

"Kate." he whispered loudly as he shook her. She choked out something he couldn't understand. He shook her harder. "Kate!" She began to writhe underneath his touch. Darwin was now shaking her so hard he thought she was going to break. "KATE!" he screamed.

Her eyelids shot open showing him bright electric blue eyes startling him,making him quickly step away. What shocked him more was the sudden presence of a sharp, opaque, black knife that hasn't been there earlier.

Before he could utter a sound she threw it straight at him.

=======

Date - Friday, 19 June, 2020
Time - 11:56 p.m.
Word count - 827

Longer than the previous. Also from now on I will only publish on Sunday's because it's the only time I can.

Do you like long or short chapters?

Please vote.

C. Riverbend