"No. I can't give up."

The footsteps grew louder and louder. Alfred couldn't take it anymore. He sprinted down the hall in the opposite direction. He had to find Arthur and make sure he was okay. Nothing else mattered.

"Alfred." A tempting voice called to him from behind.

The American ran even faster, through the living room and past the study. Although something was off about the house. All the doors were open. "What the hell?" Alfred stopped and looked around when he realized this.

He peeked inside each of the rooms only to find nothing but the veil of darkness that had draped the entire house. Alfred began to panic once the footsteps rose in volume. He continued down the corridor, twisting and turning to get past the doors that rested ajar.

Please don't be dead, Arthur. Please..... Alfred continued to tell himself, although there was a small voice inside of him the kept trying to tear away at Alfred's hope.

The American came to a sudden stop at the end of a hallway. He looked around, bent over and breathing heavily from all the running, and saw that he had reached the edge of the house. Arthur was gone.

Alfred cursed loudly and slammed his fist against the wall. "I'm sorry, Arthur. I should have been there to save you." All of the adrenaline and fear finally receded and the realization of loosing a friend hit him like a sledgehammer.

The American dropped to his knees and stared at his hands in shock. For some reason, the tears wouldn't come. There was no feeling of sadness at all. Only guilt.

"No. I can't give up." Alfred rose to his feet and clenched his fists. "I promised Arthur that I would save him. And that's what I'm gonna do." The fire in his stomach was raging as he made another lap through the house. That's when he realized something. The footsteps were gone.

Alfred stopped and slowly looked around the hallway. Although it was a bit difficult to see since all of the lights were out. He held his breath and listened to the empty surroundings. Silence.

Alfred jumped when he heard the sound of a gunshot coming from nearby. The blonde immediately fell to the ground and covered his head. Another shot. He realized they were coming from outside so he went to investigate.

The gunshots grew louder as he neared the backyard. There wasn't much outside except for a small shed in the corner by the wooden fence that surrounded the Brit's house. The steady snowfall continued to come down, making everything around him look as though it had been made anew by a pure white blanket.

As he got closer to the delapidated structure, the vague sound of crying appeared. "Arthur?" He called out. The American slowly began to open the wooden door.

"STAY AWAY!" A booming voice said. "Please," It was much quieter this time, "I don't want you to see me like this." The gunshots seemed to have ceased but Arthur's crying was louder now.

"Arthur, do you have a gun?" Alfred asked, fearing the worst. He gently grasped the door and reluctantly pulled it open, only to find his worst nightmare behind it. Complete and utter darkness.

Something about it just made his spine shiver. He wasn't always prone to stay away from the dark, but over the past few weeks he's grown to hate the sight and thought of it. He stared into the black abyss, waiting for it to crawl into his mind and slowly deteriorate the horrid reality that he was trapped in.

"I told you to stay away." Arthur's disembodied voice echoed inside the small room. It almost sounded... broken.

The sound of the Brit's voice pulled Alfred away from his thoughts and back to the task at hand. Saving Arthur. It's what he had sworn to do from the very beginning and he wasn't going to abandon his promise. Alfred took a deep breath and stepped forward. "I'm sorry Arthur, but I'm not going to sit on my ass and wait while that pink-haired pussy tortures you to death. I'm gonna give him a taste of a real American."

A raging determination burned bright in Alfred's chest. I'll be your hero, Arthur. I promise. He clenched his fists and held his head high before diving into the darkness, the door slamming shut behind him.