Hope In The Dark

At first, the darkness of the room deceives me, but when I flutter my eyelids open and work through the hazy gaze, I realise the bright lights were potent in their confusing and dazzling glare from above.

I am being dragged by my arms and my legs are trailing limply on the tiles behind me. Whimpering beneath my breath and clenching my eyes closed only to reopen them once more, but this time without the foggy overlay, I could make out the armoured StormTroopers who were hauling me down the twining paths of The Supremacy. Two of them had their tight grip upon me and another two followed, pointing their blasters in a threatening aim.

For a second, I am confused and I panic in their grip, until I am reminded by the throbbing bruises along my spine and the ache in my heart, of what had happened only seconds ago – I had failed. I had been caught.

I could feel all the warmth in my skin flee for in the end, I couldn't and I know my flesh is pale and clammy in the overwhelming fear that begins to make a rocking chair out of my soul. My pulse is swaying strongly and my breathing is creaking its way up my throat, and when I realise just where I was being taken, I begin to scream and thrash around.

"Stop resisting, traitor!" One of them shouted, pointing their blaster higher so now it was aimed at my frightened eyes. "Or else we will have to cuff you."

I eye the barrel and notice how close his metal fingers were to the trigger behind it, but because the panic had already settled inside my chest, there was no way I could also. I only cry and continue trying to rip my hands out of the tight grips, glancing between my arms and the trigger like clockwork.

The devices are rattling in my sleeve, sliding upwards and downwards on my skin, but the StormTroopers can't hear the hitting of metal over my loud shouts for freedom.

I splutter and almost choke on the wet tears that seep through my lips and into the bone-dry feeling in my mouth, which ached when I tried swallowing. My ribcage constricted into itself a little tighter, I glance to the masked soldier who cocks his head to the side.

"That's it!" He grumbles behind the helmet, "Handcuff her!"

Suddenly, they halt their paces and my legs fall limply to the floor completely as they let go of my arms for a moment. When one of them grabs thick metal from their belt, I widen my eyes and a breath gets caught in my throat.

"No!" I cried when another Trooper bound my wrists together, flesh grazing the thick, white cast roughy and digging into its plastering.

Only holding my wrists together tighter, the StormTrooper yells for the other man to cuff me quicker, and when the silver burns my skin in its icy-cold touch, I whimper at the sensation and wait for the dreaded click in place – But it never comes.

"Her cast is in the way!" The StormTrooper retorts to his tenacious squad-mate as the other two just focus on where they aim their blasters.

Shuffling on his rubber feet, he pinches my wrists and I can sense the annoyance radiate out of his flesh and seep through the padding of his white amour. I'm crying and flinch when he shouts.

"Then take the cast off!"

Nodding, the StormTrooper bends low to my frail body on the floor as my hands are held above me. I glance into the eyes of the soldier, hoping to see some form of empathy in another's eyes, but all I am met with is my glassy irises, which even the colour is screaming behind the tears of panic.

My hysterical crying echoes down the halls and only bounces against the windows and back down the path, the screaming sobs only interrupted by my needs to draw breath inwards in a soft wheeze and hiccup. It was a primal sound, The StormTroopers turned their heads, caught between an impulse to help and another to stay out of bother on order, and that's exactly what they did.