3. The Golden Boy

It's been about a month since I solved my first case with Jake, I'd passed my trial period and was finally feeling like I fit in now. In theory, I should be incredibly happy. Jake was a great partner, I was friends with the others now and I had secured my job. However there was one small thing bugging me. My dad still didn't seem to care. He even checked with Holt to make sure I was actually promoted! He still didn't believe a woman could become a detective and it infuriated me! He was still only focusing on my brother, and I got zero help from him.

I arrived at work in a bad mood. My parents had fussed all over my brother during breakfast and had barely spoken a word to me. I had to listen to my stupid brother bragging about his stupid promotion for a good fifteen minutes. Oh why did I care? Was I jealous? No. Jealousy is an ugly emotion! Why should I care about my brother's achievements anyway? He was older than me and I was literally doing as good as I possibly could right now! But why can't my parents see that?

Of course, I could never get away from my family. There was a picture of them greeting me as I sat at my desk. I flip it over in anger. They had made me take the picture when my brother became a Sargent, of course they wouldn't want me in it. I don't even look up as Jake sits at his desk. I was too busy angrily filing papers for out latest arrest.

I slammed the drawer shut and started scribbling down some of the evidence I'd found when Jake speaks. "Wow. Bad morning huh?"
I glance at him quickly before continuing with the paperwork. "Huh?"
"You're filing and writing very aggressively, which isn't like you at all. You usually do these things very carefully and look much happier doing them."
I huff. "Sorry, I just forgot I wasn't actually invisible." I laugh a little, but it came out angrier than I intended.
Jake looks shocked. "What do you mean invisi-... Oh. Your brother became Sargent the other day didn't he?"
"Yep,  and of course nobody cares what I'm getting up to as long as the golden boy gets everything he wants. I have this stupid picture here like it's gloating. They made ME take the picture!" I sigh and mumble the next part. "Although I don't know why they'd want me in it anyway..."
He frowns. "Hey. Look at me." I do, and he continues. "You're smart, and successful, don't compare yourself to him, he has an advantage, he's older."
I scoff. "And a man."
"What do you mean?"
"Men have it so much easier. They tend to get promoted faster and have to put far less work in. You know, my own father even called Holt to make sure I'd been promoted!"
"Wow, that's rough... I didn't realise things were that tough for you." He sighs and looks sympathetic.
"Yeah well, I get used to it, but it still annoys me that my parents don't care." I feel myself tearing up at the thought, so I make a hasty exit to the roof terrace.

Why did I have to start opening up like that? I shouldn't burden other people with my problems. I  rest my head in my hands as I breathe deeply to try and calm myself down. I never normally get this angry but my parents just made me feel small and like I wasn't doing good enough. I sit down on one of the chairs, still breathing deeply to try and lower my heart rate.

A hand touches my shoulder. "Get off!" I yell as I stand up, spin around and reach for my gun.
"Woah!" Jake puts his hands up.
"Sorry." I drop my hands to my sides and sigh. "I didn't hear you come out and I'm just feeling on edge."
"Shh. It's okay, I get it." He gently pulls me into a hug and rubs my back.
I wrap my arms around him and rest my face against his shoulder. I sigh as I feel tears welling up in my eyes and I start to shake slightly as I try to hold them back. I jolt away from Jake and then around as the tears spill down my cheeks, I quickly wipe them away but more follow and before I know it, I'm full on sobbing. Great, that's all I need.
"What's wrong?" He looks concerned.
"It's just...  I'm used to my family acting like I'm invisible until it suits them, and I don't usually talk to anyone about it, I'm just not used to people acting like they care."
His face softens. "I'm not acting. And why don't you just move out?"
"I wish!" I laugh a little as I wipe the last of my tears away. "I'm saving up, I haven't seen anywhere reasonably priced around here yet anyway."
"You can stay with me for a bit if you'd like?"
I look up at him. "I wouldn't want to impose, I've probably cause you enough trouble anyway."
"Nonsense! You'll feel better."
I think for a moment. "Alright, but only for a night."
He grins at me. "How about we finish our paperwork then?"
I nod. "I'd love to!"
"Nerd" he smiles slyly at me and I hit his shoulder as I walk past him to go back to my desk.

I was about halfway through my paperwork when my mobile rang. What did my dad want me for all of a sudden? I pick up. "Dad?"
"I need to speak to you. Are you at the precinct?"
I frown. "Yes but I'm working, I've already taken my break."
"I'm already on my way, we can talk at your desk, it won't take long." He hangs up the phone before I can even respond. I quickly prop the photo back up that I'd turned over earlier. I fidgit in my seat.
Jake immediately notices. "What's distracting you from that lovely paperwork?"
"My dad's coming here, he said he needs to talk to me. Oh what have I done now."
He laughs. "Relax, you've never set a foot wrong." My head shoots up as the elevator pings. Already?!

My dad quickly walks over to my desk.
"Hello, dad. What did you-"
"I don't have long. You need to make sure you get home as soon as possible, and make yourself look presentable." I see Jake's jaw drop in shock.
"Actually I was only going to nip home to get some stuff. I was planning on staying at a friend's tonight."
"Well, you can't."
"Dad, with all due respect, I am an adult now, I-"
"We're eating at a restaurant with your brother's new girlfriend. We'll look bad if you don't come."
Now it was my turn for my jaw to drop. "We have a case to work." It wasn't a lie, but we weren't going to work the case tonight, I really didn't want to go out though, so it seemed like the perfect excuse.
"So you wanted to stay at Jake's?"
"Oh so you do listen occasionally." I mutter.
"You never mentioned him?"
I frown as I stand up, intending to leave. "You never listen to me! I've mentioned work and Jake plenty of times, and you never listen!" I was raising my voice now, something I didn't usually do around my father. "If I 'didnt mention it' how would you even know?!" I turn to leave. And I see Jake get up ready to follow me, the rest of the precinct is watching in shock. My dad grabs my arm and directs me back into my chair. "Stop it! You're causing a scene! Your captain told me who you'd been partnered with Jake so I did some research. I should have known he'd distract you, you are just a woman after all. I can't believe Holt would let Jake mentor you!" He snorts. I can't even think of a remark, I just sit there like a goldfish.
Jake looks furious and opens his mouth to speak but I give him a look, and hope he understands that I don't want him to say anything. He closes his mouth and I look at my dad and sigh. "I'm sorry. I've just been under a lot of stress and I really wanted to get a headstart on this case."
My dad also sighs. "No I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that to you, and I should listen to you more, but your brother has been stressed too." He then turns to Jake. "I'm sorry about what I said about you, too." He holds his hand out to Jake, who shakes it. "You should come tonight too, Jake. I'll see you both later." He smiles and leaves the precinct.

I groan as soon as he leaves and look at Jake. "I'm so sor-"
"Don't apologize for his actions, he was out of order."
"I know, he shouldn't have spoke to you like that, he doesn't even know you."
"And what about what he said to you?!"
I shrug. "I knew it's what he was thinking anyway, he doesn't think I'm capable because I'm a woman, and in his eyes I've just perfectly proved his point."
"I didn't think inviting you over was going to make things worse, I was only trying to help."
I smile reassuringly. "I know, we can do it another time. And please don't feel like you have to come tonight, you shouldn't have to deal with them too." I laugh.
"As if I'm just going to leave you with them after that."
I smile gratefully. "Thank you." I get on with finishing my paperwork before I get into any more trouble.