23. Hospital

I wake up in an unfamiliar room. The walls are white and it smells of disinfectant, I'm in the hospital. My head hurt and there was a dull ache in my side. I try to lift my hand to touch my head but someone is holding it down. Tentatively, I turn my head to the side. "Jake?" My voice comes out hoarse. I pull my breathing mask down as I clear my throat and try again as he's asleep. "Jake?"
He instantly wakes up and pulls my mask back up. "Hey, you need to keep that on. Let me go get a doctor."
"But-" He leaves the room before I could finish.

Jake soon returns with a doctor holding a clipboard. "I'm glad you're finally awake, Y/N," She says with a smile. "You've been in a coma for a week now. Your husband has been very worried about you."
I frown in confusion and pull my mask down. "Sorry... Did you say... Husband?"
Jake looks confused and hurt. The doctor seems surprised as she turns to Jake. "Sorry, could you leave while we do some tests please?" He leaves without another word.

I look at the doctor in confusion. "What's going on? Why am I here and why are you saying Jake is my husband?"
She looks at her clipboard. "You came in a week ago. You'd hit your head and been shot after investigating a kidnapping. You had surgery to remove the bullet but you went into a coma."
I shake my head. "But I only just got promoted to detective... Jake and I had only just met and we were working on a robbery at the grocery store..."
She shakes her head sadly. "I think you might have memory loss, but we'll need to do some tests."

About an hour later I'm back in my room, there's no sign of Jake or anyone else I know. The doctor comes in a few minutes later with the results. She confirms her suspicious of my memory loss and says it could be a while before they come back. I sigh as I try to process everything. "I need to talk to Jake, is he still here?"
She shakes her head. "He got called to work but he said he'd be back as soon as he could."
I nod. "When can I go home?"
"Um... There might be a small problem with that..."
"What do you mean?"
"You live with Jake."
"What? No I- oh..."
"You'll need to figure something out, we can't let you go somewhere on your own. As soon as you figure something out, you can go tomorrow all being well. I'll leave you to process things." She smiles politely and leaves.  I suddenly feel overwhelmingly tired so I settle down in bed and fall asleep.

Jake is at my bedside when I awake. I sit up and turn to look at him. "Hey, you could have woken me."
"You looked tired." He murmurs.
I offer him a small smile. "I'm fine."
He nods. "What have the doctors said to you?"
"Well, I have memory loss... The last thing I remember is the first day as detective, when there was the burglary at the grocery store... She said it might be a while before I get my memories back."
He nods slowly. "I'm so sorry... I shouldn't have let you face him alone."
I look at him in confusion. "I'm sure whatever happened was down to my own decisions... Anyway we need to discuss something else..."
He frowns slightly. "What?"
"Well the doctor said I can go home tomorrow as long as there's no complications but we need to discuss where I'm going to stay."
"Oh. I thought you'd just come home..."
I sigh. "I only remember home being with my parents and brother... I thought maybe I should go there..."
He looks horrified. "I can't let you go there! I don't trust them to look after you."
My eyes widen in shock. "What do you know? Who do you think you are?!"
"I'm your husband! I'm supposed to look after you in sickness and in health!" He sighs. "I know you can't remember everything that's happened and it's complicated but I know you wouldn't want to stay with them..."
I sigh as tears trickle down my face. "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have lashed out, it's not your fault and I know this must be hard for you too."
"Hey, it's okay. Please don't cry. If you want to ask your parents, then you should. But I'm still here if you need me."
I smile slightly. "No you're right... I'll come home, I must have trusted you  a lot to marry you." I laugh a little.
He nods. "You should rest, I'll go home and get everything ready."
"Thank you, Jake."
"You don't need to thank me." He smiles reassuringly and leaves.

I check my phone and see a few missed calls from my mum. I take a deep breath and call her back. She picks up almost immediately. "Y/N, thank God! You've not been answering your phone all week, we thought something had happened to you!"
I almost laugh at the irony. "You haven't heard?"
"Heard what?"
"I've been in a coma all week. Apparently I got shot by a kidnapper and I have a head injury too. I've lost all my memories from the day after my first day as detective."
There's a long silence then some quiet muttering between my parents as my mum begins to cry. "Oh, Y/N, I'm so sorry we couldn't be there for you. If you've forgotten your memories, I assume you'll want to come here while you recover?"
"Actually I think it's best I just go home. I'm hoping it'll help me recover my memories."
"Oh. I think you're making a mistake... But if you're sure."
I sigh. "Jake said a lot has happened that I can't remember, he wants me to stay with him. After all, I must have trusted him a lot to have married him."
"But you can barely remember him!" She exclaims.
"I know... But I need to remember everything."
She sighs. "Yeah... I guess you're right. We'll visit soon, I need to go, bye."
"Okay, bye." I sigh as I put the phone down.