9. First Date

Today I woke up without the feeling of dread for the first time in weeks. I was excited to finally go on a date with someone I actually liked. I practically skipped into the kitchen, Jake was still asleep on the sofa. There wasn't a big selection for breakfast so I settle on cornflakes. When I've finished, I wash up then go upstairs to have a shower and get dressed.

Jake's having his breakfast when I return to the living room. "Morning sleepyhead." I laugh. He grunts in response. "Still tired?"
"A little, I didn't sleep that well."
I sigh and sit on the sofa. "I said I should have slept on the sofa."
"It's fine, don't worry about it." He flops down onto the sofa next to me and smiles. I grin. "You seem extra cheerful this morning, Y/N."
"It's a relief to get up and not have to listen to my parents and my brother."
"Ah, and here I was thinking you were happy because of me."
"Well, that too, but I didn't want to feed your ego any more." I laugh as he hits my arm playfully.

A few hours later I start getting ready for the date. I apply a small amount of makeup then put on a flowy white dress and some heels. This must be record time for me getting ready. I go back to the living room, Jake's already ready. He smiles. "You look nice."
"Thanks, so do you. I can't believe you're wearing a suit! We must be going somewhere nice." I laugh.
"Of course we are! C'mon, let's go."
I grab my bag and follow him outside. "Where are we going?" I ask as we walk past his car.
"You'll see." He takes my hand and interlocks our fingers. I smile as we walk along the street. We hadn't walked far when he pulls me into a nice restaurant.

Jake pulls out a chair for me at a table in a corner. I sit down and he sits across from me. The waiter comes over so we order. We both have wine and lasagna. We chat while we wait for the food to come. "What would you have been if you weren't a cop?" He asks.
"Anything with animals, I never got chance to have a pet but I really want a dog."
He grins. "I love dogs! I can't imagine not being a cop though."
I nod. "Me neither really, it's what I always wanted to do, it's funny really, how much I looked up to my dad..." I sigh.
"Hey let's not talk about him."

I nod and then notice that my ex is walking right towards us.
"Hello, Y/N!"
"James." I nod slightly.
"I haven't seen you in ages!"
"I don't make a habit of seeing my ex boyfriends that my parents forced me to go out with."
"What? They said you wanted to see me."
I laugh and shake my head. "No they picked who I dated."
He sighs and walks off.

I look at Jake. "Sorry about that."
"Fighting guys off now?" He laughs. "I was going to ask what you do in your spare time."
"I used to go ice skating a lot but then I got busy with work so I haven't been for a few years, what about you?"
He nods. "I love going to theme parks, but I haven't been to one in a while, works been crazy."
I grimace. "But theme parks are scary! Anything could go wrong!"
He laughs. "You could say that about work!"
"True... But at least that helping people!"
He laughed and shakes his head as the food arrives. The food was so good we barely spoke throughout the meal.

A little while after we've finished eating I notice Jake looking behind me. "What?"
"Maybe don't turn around, but your mum and brother have just come in."
"Oh great, what're they doing here?"
"Coming this way it seems, wanna go somewhere else?"
I nod so Jake stops the waiter walking past our table and asks for the bill.
Sadly that didn't stop them from coming over. "Mind if we join you?" My mum asks.
"Actually, we're just leaving." I wish the waiter would hurry.
"Can't you stay for another drink?"
I shake my head. "I asked you to give me some space."
"I know but your father regrets what he did."
I can't help but notice how smug my brother looks and I want to punch him in the face but I don't. "He said that to you?"
"No but I can tell."
I can't help but laugh. "Maybe tell him to sort his drinking problem out, then we can have a discussion."
I pick my bag up as Jake quickly pays the waiter then grabs my hand and pulls me towards the exit. "Shaw's?" He asks.
"Sounds great."

We walk the short distance to Shaw's and sit at the bar drinking beer. "I'm sorry my family and my ex crashed our date."
"It's fine, I was thinking we could come here for a bit anyway."
"Yeah, drinks are cheaper here." We both laugh and get some shots.

About an hour later, Jake and I are both pretty drunk. We stumble out of Shaw's and make our into the apartment. Jake shuts the door and closes the space between us. He tucks my hair behind my ears and kisses me gently. I pull him towards me as the kiss gets more intense as we go to the bedroom.