7. Betrayal

I wake up when Jake gently shakes me. We've arrived at the precinct.
"Are you sure you're up to working?"
"I'm fine, just a little tired." I smile at him in hopes he'd believe me. The truth was, I actually felt terrible. My head hurt and I felt sick. I push the thoughts out of my head and get out of the car.

When we enter the precinct, everyone starts staring at me. I look at the floor and hurry to my desk. I quickly get my paperwork out and busy myself with it. As soon as Jake sits down, Charles comes rushing over to talk to him. He's whispering but I can still hear him. "What happened with you two yesterday?! Did she stay the night?" He adds suggestively.
Jake shushes him. "Yes, but-" He's interrupted by Charles squealing in excitement. Jake hits him on the arm. "Not in the way you're thinking!"
"Then why is she wearing your-"
"Not now, Charles."

Charles goes back to his own desk. I look at Jake but he refuses to look up from his paperwork. I sigh and go back to doing my paperwork as I try to drown out the noise of everyone else chattering away. Usually I loved doing my paperwork but today I just couldn't concentrate. I should have taken painkillers but I didn't want to worry Jake. He's busy concentrating on his paperwork so I get my painkillers from my bag, put them in my pocket and go to the bathroom.

I've just taken the painkillers and splashed some water on my face when Rosa walks in. "Amy and I are worried about you, but we thought we'd better not both come in."
"Oh, thank you for your concern but there's really nothing to worry about..."
"Come on Y/N. You've been so withdrawn since your dad turned up at the precinct, now you look like you've not even been home."
I sigh and rub my face. "I'm fine. Everything is fine."
"Clearly everything is not fine, if you're having problems with your parents, I might be able to help."
I explain everything that's happened. Starting with when my dad came to the precinct and finishing with how I'd ended up staying at Jake's and my dad calling Holt to see if I was working.
She looks surprised. "All that happened just in the past few days and you've been bottling it up? No wonder you look terrible."
I laugh a little. "Gee thanks Rosa! Seriously though, I'll be fine. I should have enough money to move out soon and then they should be more bearable."
Rosa nods. "Well, if you need anything or want to talk, I'm here for you. Maybe you could just talk to your parents though."
"Thank you. I did try that though."

We leave the bathroom and my heart drops. My dad is stood at my desk and he's in deep conversation with Jake. I take a deep breath and walk over.  trying to look as calm as possible. Jake spots me and looks a little relieved.
"Dad?"
He spins around. "Y/N! Why didn't you come home last night? Why did you lie?!"
"Can we please talk somewhere else?"
He sighs. "Fine, where?"
"There won't be anyone outside."

I go out onto the roof with my dad following behind me.
"So. Why have you been acting up recently?"
I sigh. "I just feel completely invisible to all of you. Especially yesterday. You didn't really want me to become a detective yet you're so impressed with Ella being one?"
He doesn't speak for a moment. "That still doesn't excuse lying. And I can't believe you stayed at Jake's and now you're not even wearing your own clothes!"
"Really? Shawn forgot Jake and I were even going so my keys got locked inside!"
"Oh so now you're blaming your brother? This really is inexcusable. You'd better come home as soon as your shift ends today!"
"But-" It was too late, he'd already gone.

As soon as I go back inside Holt wants to see me. I go into his office and shut the door.
"Are you having problems at home, Y/N?"
"A little, but it's fine, don't worry about me, sir."
"If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. The whole squad is here for you."
I smile. "Thank you, I appreciate it."

I go back to my desk and Jake looks up from his paperwork. "Everything okay?"
"Yeah, Captain Holt was just checking I was okay, and saying that if I needed anything, the squad was here for me."
He smiles slightly. "And your dad? He wasn't very happy."
"Yeah he's angry with me, but I'm sure it'll be fine."

The rest of the day went really slowly. I was dreading going home. As soon as my shift ended I quickly said my goodbyes to everyone and left. My dad greets me when I arrive. "Well, at least you can get something right."
"What?"
"You really embarrassed us last night! You refuse to date anyone we choose, you lie and disappear for the rest of the night just for me to find out you've stayed the night at Jake's?"
"There's nothing wrong with Jake! We aren't together anyway, you'll be happy to know!"
"It doesn't matter. I don't want you living under my roof anymore."
"What?"
"Pack your stuff and leave."
"Where am I supposed to go?"
"I don't know, and it's not my problem."
"But-" He grabs my arm and drags me up the stairs. "Get off! Your hurting me!"
"Not as much as you hurt our family name!" I then realised he's drunk. I pull my arm from his grasp and go into my room.

It doesn't take me long to pack my favourite things into one suitcase. I leave the dresses my parents made me wear that I hated. My dad was in the kitchen so I quickly leave without saying anything to him.

By the time I'd dragged my suitcase to Jake's apartment, I was shaking and crying uncontrollably. I wipe my face before knocking on the door. The door opens a few seconds later.
"Y/N? What's happened?"
I shake my head knowing I wouldn't be able to speak properly yet. He takes my suitcase and ushers me inside.