4. Introductions

As soon as work was over, Jake went to his house and I went to mine. He said he'd get changed and meet me at mine. It had taken me forever to pick a dress. I'd gone with a tight red dress that came up just above my knees. I paired it with some black strappy heels.

I'd just finished my base makeup when there was a knock at the door. I practically ran down the stairs, which was difficult considering my heels, to make sure I got to it first. Jake had texted me a few moments ago to warn me he was almost here. In hindsight, I probably should have put my shoes on later, knowing I needed to get to the door first. I practically barge past my brother as I race down the hall and almost run into the door.

I open the door and grin at Jake, trying to hide the fact I looked like I had just ran a marathon. His eyes widen as he sees me, I smile awkwardly.
"Hey."
"Hi, come in." I open the door and close it behind him. "I'm almost ready, but you can come upstairs. Can't throw you to the lions." I laugh as I mumble the the last part. He grins and starts to follow me up the stairs, I close the door behind us when we get to my room. There's clothes all over the floor, and different makeup products strewn across my vanity. I clear a path to a chair and then sit at the vanity.
Jake sits in the chair and looks at me through the mirror. "What do you mean you're not ready?"
I laugh. "I've barely started really." I start working on my eye makeup.
"But you don't need any of that stuff." He looks confused.
I roll my eyes. "I have to look 'presentable'" I say in a tone mocking my dad.
"But you already look better than presentable."
I blush, grateful that the makeup hides it and shake my head. "My family would be furious if I went out to a posh restaurant looking like this."
He sighs and stays quiet as I focus on finishing my makeup.

When I've finished, I hadn't even noticed that Jake had been putting clothes back into my wardrobe. "Hey thanks, you didn't have to do that though, you're a guest." I smile as I start putting makeup back into drawers.
"I don't want you getting in any trouble for being late or anything."
"I bet my mum will be ages yet anyway." I laugh and join him putting away clothes.
"Did you set off a clothes bomb in here or something?"
"No, I'm just very... Indecisive on what to wear."
He frowns slightly. "Would you have worn that if it was completely up to you?"
"Honestly? Maybe not? It's not the most comfortable thing in the world..."
"Then change."
I look at him in shock. "Are you insane?!"
"No, you should wear what you want."
I sigh. "I appreciate you trying to help but you don't understand and you never will. It's like one set of rules for me and another set for my brother. My brother could probably go in casual clothes and nothing would be said. He wouldn't do that, but he could. I however must always look something like this whenever I'm seen  out with my parents. They keep trying to set me up with idiots too. Ok that's a little harsh but I just want to choose who I date."
"That's rough..." he pauses. "But who would you choose?"
"Oh- I don't know really... I don't get much chance to think about it, you know? Just someone who genuinely cares about me." I glance at him "Oh, and someone who isn't just after my parents money. The sooner I move out of here the better, as far as I'm concerned."
"You know you could come and stay with me."
"I told you, I don't want to impose, it might be ages until I find somewhere."
"But I don't mind, it'd be fun."

I sigh and change the subject. "I'm surprised you wore a suit."
He fake gasps. "I couldn't go in casual clothes. I knew you'd all dress up, and I saw your brother, he's wearing one!"
I laugh. "I know but-"
"But you didn't think I'd make the effort? How could you?!"
"You know that's not what I meant." I grin.
"I know, but I can't have your dad hate me even more than he must do already."
"He doesn't hate you..."
He gives me a knowing look.
"He barely knows you, therefore he cannot hate you." I grin triumphantly as Jake shakes his head.

There's a knock on the door downstairs and I assume my brother's girlfriend has arrived, with the way I hear them talking. "Oh, here comes my replacement." I laugh. "She'll turn out to be the daughter they wish they had."
"What do you mean?"
"You know, a typical woman, who isn't a detective, I assume. We should go downstairs now."

I go downstairs, followed by Jake. I decide to introduce myself to the woman. "Hi, I'm Y/N, Shawn's sister." I hold my hand out for her to shake as her eyes widen in shock. "I'm Ella, I had no idea he had a sister..."
"Wha-?" I'm interrupted as she pulls me in to kiss both my cheeks rather than shake my hand. I stumbled back shocked, and I may have fallen over if Jake hadn't have put his arm around me. He offers his other hand to Ella as he introduces himself. "Hi, I'm Jake."
She smiles and shakes his hand. "Oh, are you Y/N's boyfriend?"
"No! He's not." My dad interrupts as he walks past, removing Jake's arm from around me. I glance at Jake, who surprisingly looks a little hurt, Ella looks shocked as she moves towards my brother and I hear her mumble. "Why didn't you tell me you had a sister?"

I sigh and turn away from them and look at my dad. I frown at him before taking Jake's hand and leading him into the living room. "I'm so sorry about him."
"You don't need to apologize on his behalf, and anyway, it's not like he lied."
"I know but he didn't have to be so rude and interrupt like that."
"Who's being rude?" I jump as my dad enters the room.
"Uh, no-one?" I smile at my dad, hoping he'll just ignore it.
"Very well. I've found someone else for you to go on a date with."
"No, thank you."
"What do you mean, no?"
"I don't want to date anyone. I want to focus on my career that you pretend doesn't even exist."
He looks shocked. "Why are you talking back all of a sudden? Is it because of Jake?"
I sigh. "No, dad. I just don't like feeling so invisible all the time, I've had to put up with it for too long now, you didn't used to treat me like this."
He looks like he's realising something. "Oh. I didn't realise you felt like that. I do just want you to do well, really."
I sigh. "I know... You know I look up to you, and you know I want to be captain one day. Jake's helped me a lot since I became detective, I just wish you'd give him a chance."
He nods. "Okay, if that's what you want."
I smile. "Thank you for listening to me."
"Don't make me regret it, make a good impression tonight, both of you." He looks at Jake. "If you even want a chance with my daughter, you'll have to prove yourself. My jaw drops in shock but Jake simply nods, adding to my shock.

I hear my mum come down the stairs, she actually comes in the living room first. She smiles as soon as she spots Jake. "Ah you must be Jake" she smiles and holds her hand out to him.
"Indeed I am, it's nice to meet you Mrs. (Y/L/N)" He shakes her hand.
"I'm sorry for the short introduction but I must go and see Ella." I smile and nod as she leaves the room.
"Well, your mum certainly seems friendlier."
I smile and nod. "She's more accepting. I've heard her argue with my dad about letting me date who I want but that's about it."

My brother had decided to drive, as he didn't drink. But he only had a 4 seater, and had basically forgotten Jake and I were going. "You can walk, right?"
I look at my brother in shock. "Are you serious Shawn?! In these heels?" He nods.
Jake grins at me. "I'll give you a piggy back." My dad eyes him warily. "I was kidding. I'll go get my car."
Jake sets off at the run towards his place and I look at my parents. "You guys can go, we'll be there soon." Shawn nods and sets off without another word. I sigh as I lean against the door waiting for Jake to return.