27. Reliving The Worst Memories

~Two Weeks Later~

I am trapped in the dark. The small room is empty and is incredibly small with no windows. Pitch black. The room seems to be moving. My wrists are bound behind my back and there's tape over my mouth. I want to scream. I want to bang on the walls. Instead, a strange muffled noise comes out of my mouth. "Y/N..." The voice sounds distant, like it's calling to me. "Y/N." The voice repeats.

"Y/N!" Suddenly I'm brought back into reality by Jake shouting my name and shaking me. He moved back into our room after I got my last memories back during our date.
"I'm awake, I'm awake!" I groan as he sets me back down on the bed. "Did you have to shake so hard? My head hurts."
"You were tossing and turning, then you started mumbling."
I frown as I sit up. "I was just having a bad dream."
"That's all?"
"Yes. It's 5 in the morning, go back to sleep, Jake." Neither of us speak again. I turn onto my side facing away from Jake. Truth is, I've been having that dream all week, I always get woken before I figure out what's going on. Slowly, I drift off back to sleep.

The next time I wake up, I don't remember dreaming about anything. Quickly, I get changed out of my pjamas and wander into the living room. I open my mouth to speak but shut it again when I notice Jake is on the phone. I hover close by him but I can't hear who he is talking to. When Jake ends the call, I quickly look over to him. "Who was that?"
"Your mum, she's invited us over for a meal tomorrow, I said I'd discuss it with you but she said she wasn't taking no for an answer."
I nod silently.
"I can call her and cancel if you really don't want to go?"
"No it's fine, if she's saying she won't take no for an answer, she really won't." I sigh.
"Right, well I'm going to have to go to work now. Do you want to come and talk to Holt about returning to work yet?" Jake grabs his coat and reaches for the door handle, he already knows my answer.
I shake my head. "No, I want to focus on getting my memories back before going back to work."
He nods. "I understand. See you later."
"Bye." I offer him a small smile. He smiles back and leaves.

~That Night~

As soon as I fall asleep, I find myself in the small dark room again. Again, it feels like I'm moving. I try to stay calm in hopes to not wake up Jake. Eventually the moving feeling stops. A woman a little older than me opens the door and drags me outside. She has a triumphant look on her face as she effortlessly pulls me into a dark building. The woman looks familiar but I can't quite put my finger on who it is. She throws me towards the back of the room and kicks me in the side. "You're going to die soon." She laughs.
A little while after she leaves, there's a loud gunshot.

I jolt awake. Jake stirs next to me so I cover my mouth and wrap my arms around myself to stop the shaking. When I think Jake's definitely asleep, I settle down. All of a sudden, the light switches on. "Y/N, I know you're awake."
I turn over to face him. "I just woke up."
He sighs. "Don't lie to me, I could feel you shaking."
"Fine, I was just having a bad dream but I'm fine now."
"You're having a lot of bad dreams recently. Do you want to talk about it?"
"I think it might be a memory coming back... But I think we shouldn't talk about it or I'll just be remembering what you tell me."
He nods slowly. "Alright, but if you want to talk about it, you can."
"I know." I smile.
"Alright, we'd better get back to sleep as we have to deal with your parents tomorrow."
"Agreed, hopefully they go easy on us."

The next day, we arrive at my parents' house in the late afternoon. We make small talk during the meal but afterwards they start to ask about my recovery. As you can imagine, they're quite disappointed as they thought I'd get my memories back much faster.

I end up sat in the living room alone while Jake helps my parents with the clearing up. I did offer to help but my parents insisted that I rested.

Suddenly all the lights go out. I was about to get up when a hand rests on my shoulder, and I almost jump out of my skin. "Just a power cut." Jake murmurs.
"I- I thought you..."
"What?"
My whole body goes cold at the thought and I feel sick. "I thought you were Ella..." I mutter.
The emergency generator kicks in and the lights come back on. Jake's face is full of concern. "You look like you've seen a ghost, what's wrong?"
"We need to go home, so I can explain properly."

After making a quick excuse to my parents, we arrive home a short while later and settle on the sofa. I explain my dreams to him in detail. "I think the dreams was the memory of Ella coming back to me. And being at my parents with the lights going off, just sort of finished it off."
He nods. "It would make sense, she did kidnap you, and I did end up shooting her."
I frown. "She tried to ruin our wedding..."
"Yes! That was on our wedding day, do you remember any more?"
I shake my head. "No, that's it."
"Well, it's a start. I'm sure you'll have remembered everything soon." He grins at me and I smile back. For once, I feel very positive that all my memories will be back soon.