11. Pregnant?

It's been a few weeks since everyone found out about Jake and I. Luckily Charles had calmed down a little and no-one else really took any notice. Today I've been put on my first big case, a man hunt. The whole squad is involved. It's a huge case, the shooter could still be in the area.

Rosa and I are watching the locked down street but I had other things on my mind. I pace back and forth for about an hour before Rosa stops me. "What is wrong with you today, Y/N?"
"Huh? Nothing is wrong. Why would anything be wrong?"
"Is it the case?"
"What? No."
"So there is something bothering you?"
I sigh. "Well... My period is late by about a week."
"Oh... Think you might be pregnant?"
I nod a little. "I mean, it's possible. I don't know what to do."
"Take a test?"
"I'm scared, Rosa. I'm not ready to have a child and Jake and I have only been together a few weeks!"
"Listen to me, Y/N. You might not be pregnant, but even if you are, I know Jake wouldn't see you any differently and he'd take care of you."
"I know... I just want to work on my career right now.
"I'll get you a test."
"Thank you." I smile gratefully.

Rosa comes back a little while later and passes me a pregnancy test.
"Thank you, I'll do it when I get home." I put the test in my bag.
Rosa nods. "If you're still worried about doing it, you should talk to Jake."

Jake suddenly comes around the corner. "Talk to me about what?"
"Nothing!"
"Rosa?"
"Y/N just isn't feeling too good."
"Oh. Do you need to go home? I thought you were looking a little pale."
I shake my head. "No I'll be fine, don't worry."
"Okay, if you're sure. I was just coming round to say we're looking for a white male, 6 foot, wearing a red hoodie and black jeans and trainers."
"We'll keep an eye out."
Jake nods and leaves.

Rosa frowns at me. "Why didn't you just tell him?"
"Now's not the time, we need to focus on the case, especially now we have a description."
She nods. "I guess so."

About an hour later, we get a call for backup. Rosa and I get there within a few minutes. The perp is holding Jake at gunpoint, the rest of us surround him with our guns trained on him. I was terrified, but I knew I couldn't show it. "Don't do anything stupid. Put the gun down." I manage to say calmly as I slowly walk towards him. "You don't want more time in jail do you?"
Whilst he's thinking, I lunge forward and grab his gun. Jake turns around and tackles the perp to the ground and handcuffs him.

When Jake and I get home I flop down onto the sofa. Jake immediately sits next to me and grabs my hand. "Thank you." He smiles.
"You don't need to thank me."
He laughs. "Of course I do, you saved my life. It must have been scary for you, first big case."
I smile. "Honestly, I was terrified. I don't know what I'd have done if he'd have hurt you, I love you."
Jake looks surprised. "Noice... Smort... I love you too, Y/N."
I smile as we kiss.

Jake goes out a little later to get a takeaway. While he's out, I do the pregnancy test. I pace around the room as I wait for the test to show the results. I needed it to be negative. I wasn't ready to have children, and I don't think Jake is either. We hadn't even discussed kids. I'm relieved when the test shows up negative. I toss the test in the bin. I decide it's better to not tell Jake about any of this, today had been stressful enough for both of us. It didn't matter anyway, did it?

About a week later Jake goes out to help Rosa with something for a case while I do my paperwork. When he gets back, he seems to be in a mad mood and barely speaks to me for the rest of the day.

When we get home, he looks even more angry. I sigh. "Jake, what's wrong?"
"We need to talk." We sit on the sofa. I look at him as I wait for him to speak.
"Are you pregnant?"
"What? No. Why would you... Oh... Rosa?" I sigh.
"Why didn't you just talk to me? I shouldn't have to find out from Rosa!"
"I was scared, and I didn't want to worry you too. Anyway the test came back negative so it doesn't matter."
"Of course it matters!"
"What? Why?"
"One: we're supposed to be a team and talk about things that worry us. And two: you shouldn't have risked your life for me if you thought you could be pregnant!"
I sigh. "I don't want to argue Jake, but even if I was pregnant I still have to do my job, and I'd do anything I could to protect you!"
He looks down. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to have a go. I was just worried about you."
"I know... Anyway, I'm not pregnant so you don't need to worry."
He nods. "You're right."

The next day at work I immediately go over to Rosa. "Hey Rosa, can I have word please?"
"Sure, but I think I know what this is about."
"Why did you tell Jake?"
"Because I thought he needed to know, you didn't even mention the test again to me."
"It wasn't your place to say anything to him! You should have asked me!"
She sighs. "You guys needed to talk about it regardless."
I shake my head. "It came back negative, I didn't need to tell him."
"Ok, maybe I should have said something to you first, but I won't apologize for what I did. You're both my friends and I didn't think it was fair what you did."
I sigh. "He wasn't happy that I risked my life even though I thought I could be pregnant."
Rosa nods. "Makes sense. He really cares about you, you know."
I smile. "I know."