14. Recovering

I am more than happy to return to work after my week of recovery and I think Jake is too. Even though he asked me multiple times if I was sure I was ready. I practically skip around the apartment as I get ready to leave. I was fed up of being stuck in the apartment for a week doing nothing. I'm ready about half an hour early, I'm still bounding around as I wait for Jake. "There's barely enough room to skip around in here."
Jake laughs. "Stop bounding around then."
"I have so much energy! I've been thinking..."
"About..?"
"I think we should get a bigger apartment. We can barely store all out stuff." I gesture around at the random items strewn across the apartment.
He nods. "Would we be able to afford it?"
"I think so, you could afford this place on your own and I'd been saving for somewhere anyway."
"Alright then, let's do it!"
I grin. "We can start looking after work?"
"Sure." He smiles

When we get to work Holt wants to see Jake and I in his office. "Good morning, sir." Jake and I say in unison.
"Good morning. I hope you're feeling better, Y/N."
I smile. "I am, thank you. I'm ready to go!"
"Don't get ahead of yourself, you won't be going out into the field for at least another week."
I frown. "But I-"
"That's a direct order, Y/N."
"Yes sir." I sigh.
"You've been through a traumatic event, mentally as well as physically and you've only been here just over six months. It must be worse, having your first perp and a Sargent pull a stunt like this."
I nod. "I guess but I honestly feel great."
"My mind is made up, you need to recover."
I sigh. "Alright."

I sit at my desk and sigh in frustration and look over at Jake. "Why can't I just go back in the field?!"
He looks at me sympathetically. "Holt just wants what's best for you. Anyway you love doing paperwork."
"I know but I've been sat around for a week, I was looking forward to going out into the field."
"At least it's only a week, and you have apartment hunting to look forward to!"
I smile. "Yeah, you're right."

A little while later I'm completely engrossed in my paperwork. I practically jump out of my skin as the lights go out. Immediately I start shaking and sweating as I reach for my gun, just in case. Jake springs into action, ordering people to check for anything suspicious. I feel sick as I wipe the sweat from my palms. My mind is racing with a flashback from the night I was kidnapped. Jake is knelt down to my level next to me taking but everything is in slow motion and all I can hear is my racing heartbeat.

Jake grabs my hand and pulls me outside onto the roof. I feel a little better as the cool air hits my face. He wipes the tears from my face and pulls me against him. I take deep breaths as I try to calm down but I can't stop shaking. He stokes my hair while repeating that everything is fine.

Once I've calmed down, Holt sends Jake and I home. I sigh as I sit on the sofa. "Well, that was embarrassing."
Jake sits next to me and puts his arm around me. "It's not embarrassing, everyone understands. You've been through a traumatic event, you haven't even been a detective that long."
I rest my head on his shoulder. "I know I just... I don't even know what happened there."
"I think you had a panic attack." He starts playing with my hair.
"No... I'm fine, honestly."
"You're clearly not, and you don't have to pretend to be. You can trust me with anything."
I sigh. "I know... I guess I've been feeling a little on edge..."
"Do you need more time off?"
I shake my head. "No, I think it's best if I stay at work."
"Ok... Wanna look at apartments?"
I nod and bring up the website.

We spend the next few hours looking at apartments and arranging viewings for our day off. "You're very quiet, Y/N. You good?"
I nod. "Just a little tired, I'm gonna go to bed." I go and put my pjamas on and get in bed. I don't sleep though, my mind is in overdrive from the day's events.

I'm still awake when Jake comes to bed an hour later. I turn over to face him. "Sorry, did I wake you?"
"No." I sigh as I rest my head on his chest and he wraps his arms around me.
"I won't let anything happen to you." He kisses my forehead and I smile. "I know, I'm just a little shaken." He strokes my hair until I fall asleep.

The next morning I'm woken up by Jake shaking me and shouting my name. I was trembling and sweating. I'd had a nightmare but I couldn't remember much of it. I sit up and put my head in my hands. "Maybe my dad was right Jake."
"About what?"
"That I shouldn't have become a cop."
"Hey, don't say that. You've just had a bit of a set back."
I nod a little. "Yeah. You're right, I just need to get back into a routine and I'll be fine."
"That's my girl! Maybe take some more time off first though." He laughs.
I shake my head. "No I want to go to work. Please don't tell Holt about this."
"But-"
"Jake, please. He'll only worry and send me home."
He sighs. "Fine, but if you feel like you need to take a break just talk to me ok?"
"I promise I will."
"Alright then."

Holt looks surprised to see me when we get to work, he immediately calls me into his office.
"Good morning, sir."
"Good morning, Y/N. Should you be in work today?"
"Yesterday just caught me off guard, I feel better this morning."
He nods. "Very well."

I start walking back to my desk but Rosa shouts for me so I go to hers instead. "I hope you're feeling better, Y/N"
I smile. "I am, thank you."
"Good. I've found a lead on that drugs bust we were working on and thought we could go check it out."
"That's great! I'd love to come, but Holt doesn't want me out in the field until next week."
"I could really use your help with this."
Holt was walking past but stops. "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. Y/N this is an important case, if you think you're ready, I'll allow it just this once."
I nod eagerly. "I am. Thank you, sir."
He looks over to Jake. "Peralta, are you busy?"
"No, why?"
"I want you to go with Diaz and Y/N to check out this lead."

I go to my desk to grab my jacket, Jake pulls me to one side. "Should you be doing this?"
"I'll be fine Jake, this case is really important."
He nods. "If you're sure..."