Chapter 2

" yes, you make it sound like it's strange having a mother ".

" hmmmmmmm" he said and remained silent.

It bothered me today that he wasn't going to ask me into his garden. Like after some time , our whole friendship is off. Like I was yesterday's news. So instead I did something I normally wouldn't. I talked.

" you know, some people think it's rude being English and not inviting your visitor inside. "

" well, the door is open. It depends if the visitor is comfortable with the host or she just wants to go home".

" hmmmmmm". I say

I walk away from his face back on the path. He looks like he wants to run after me but he can't go outside the gate. So I just hear him scream.

" stay! "

" What?".

" stay, please just for a little while,"

" but I don't know you. Not even a little bit".

" you don't have to know me to keep me company."

" I don't even know your name." I say

Finalizing the topic. He keeps quiet and watches me carefully.

" come into the garden and keep me company. Then I will tell you."

" Tell me ?" I say. Almost laughing

" yes, I'll tell you ". he says opening the gate to let me in.

" well, come in. Don't you want to know me." he says

I smile and enter the garden. He takes me to the exact same spot as last time. He pats on the ground and I know my que. We both lie down on our backs at the exact same time.

" so what do you want to know ?".

" your name."

He takes his hand out. "Derick Coswell"

" Julian rose ". I say.

" I'll call you Julie cause you shine like a jewel."

I laugh. " I need to go home, now".

" see you tomorrow, I guess". he says

" Tomorrow? and how are you so sure I'll come tomorrow ".

He points at the gate and the exact position I stand when staring at his shadow.

" everyday as I go back into the house. After you wave and I smile ( pointing again) you stand there and watch me. I know you'll be here tomorrow ". He says and smiles.

I laugh again and wave as I take some steps outside the gate .

" we'll see " I say. Low enough so he doesn't hear me .

" I know you will." He answers back and heads back into his own house.

I walk back home a little later than usual. Bored out of my mind . Even watching what the birds in our home chirp. Finally I reach home but my mother isn't there. I drop my heavy bag on the floor and decide to do a little house keeping. An hour later she's still not home so I make dinner. A couple more after I'm on the floor in the living room, half way asleep. Waiting for her to come but she doesn't.
The next day, she's up and she looks tired.

" mom, I came early but you weren't here "

" oh yes, yeah. Good morning dear". She says

Looking lost. Like it wasn't her own home.

" where were you mom". I say

" don't worry about it". She says almost getting upset .

I ignored her, ate my breakfast then left and went to school. Instead of taking the normal route to see the boy in the house. I take a short cut and move quickly so I can get to school on time. At school I'm angry but I don't mention it to anyone. I sit at my desk. Do all my work assigned to me that day. Pay attention, then leave the second school is over.
I forget the short cut so I take the normal route. This means I had to see him although I don't want to.
" I didn't see you this morning". A voice yells from above.

He was on his balcony when he screamed this.

" oh, I had to get to school fast today".

" I don't think so". he says as he smiles.

He then disappears as I watch the house and minutes later I see him outside.

" My dear jewel, come inside ". he says

I was still too mad to go home so I just decide on entering his garden and staying longer than usual. Maybe that will knock mother back into her senses.

" sure , I can stay as long as you want ". I say

" splendid, then it's a date ". he says

In our homeland the word 'date' wasn't used too often. The usual word to be used was ' courting' or ' courtship' but we were nothing close to that stage and we're just strangers to each other. Strangers who like looking  at the stars together.

" Em. I guess so. How very American of you ". I say

I enter his yard and sit on our usual spot.

" No, my dear rose." he says .

" Today were going somewhere special". he says

" oh" I say .

" follow me dearie. Close your eyes first".

I oblige and keep my eyes shut as he leads me to another position. Where I'm sure I've never been.

" open them" he says

I open my eyes and I see this pretty picnic Matt and a picnic basket but the flowers were in a vase.
I realize what he was doing the other day, when I saw him cut flowers.

" sit" he says
And I sit on the Matt.
We could see the sunset and I almost gasp.