"What a good wife."

Alfie Solomons Imagine #1

          I walked through the front doors of the bakery, waving at a few people behind the counter. Making my way to the basement, I used my key to unlock the door, checking behind me to make sure no customers see me entering.

          Alfie had been busy the past few weeks on a new business plan with the Shelby family. A business plan that was keeping him from coming home at regular hours and spending time with me. Not that I was being needy, but I do desire attention every now and then.

          I walked through the hall, carrying a small container of food that I had made for him. When I made it to Alfie's office, Ollie stood out front of it to make sure no one walked in. I tried to pass him, but he side stepped in front of me, effectively blocking me.

         "I'm here to see my husband. Move aside."

          He scoffed at me, "Your husband is in a meeting, come back later."

          I stared incredulously at him, "Excuse me?"

          "You heard me, Mrs. Solomons. You can wait if you'd like but it'll be a few more minutes." He crosses his arms, signaling to me his desire to make sure I didn't go through.

          "Fine", I said simply, "I understand."

          Ollie seemed to not trust that I had, however, and gave me a questionable look. I smiled at him before setting the container of food down on a nearby table. He watched me inquisitively as I cleared my throat for several seconds.

          "Alfie!" I shouted, startling Ollie.

          "What are you doing?" He asked frantically, "He's busy! And you need to—"

          "Alfie!" I shouted again.

          "—stop shouting!" Ollie was begging at this point, as he'd probably get in trouble for the meeting being disturbed.

          Finally the door opened and Ollie turned to see who it was, I'm sure to make sure Alfie wasn't there to beat his brains out. However, luckily for him, it wasn't my husband standing in the door way but another man. One I immediately recognized.

          "I'm here to see my husband, Mr. Shelby." I'm sure the irritation in my voice did not go unnoticed. He gave me a small smirk and quick once over, me returning it with a glare.

          "You're in luck then. We've just finished." He turned to the left, seeing the container I had set down earlier. "What's in there?"

          "It's homemade Shakshuka, Thomas. A Jewish dish." I quipped back.

          "Well aren't you a good wife." He picked it up, opening the lid and looking at it as if I had shit on a plate and asked him to eat it. "Can I have it?" He finally asked.

          "You may not." I huffed in annoyance, causing a laugh from Thomas.

          "What's all the commotion?" Alfie finally emerged from his office, slight annoyance visible.

          "Mr. Solomons, sir, I'm sorry for the intrusion. Your wife wanted to come in but I kept her out due to your meeting." Ollie was pleading with him to make sure that he didn't get in trouble for what I've caused. I rolled my eyes.

          He turned to me, "Did he touch you?" He gestured to Ollie, then turned back to him. "You touch her?"

          "I would never, Mr. Solomons." Ollie said quietly. He turned back to me, waiting for my answer.