(8) watermelon sugar

NO PERSPECTIVE

Amelia lets out a shaky breath before allowing herself to trust Harry completely. "Do you remember how I told you Eddie and Mary are my grandparents?"

Harry nodded in response, not wanting to say anything that would halt her from opening up to him like he wanted her to.

She starts again, "My father was never really a father, if I'm being honest. I don't remember any happy moments of him with me, it was like I was a monster to him. He refused to hold me, change me, love me, basically anything a regular father did with his daughter." She sat down as she spoke, careful to not touch any of the sunflowers as she did so and Harry did the same.

"It was almost as if he didn't even have a daughter to him. From what I'm told, my father and my mother were completely in love. Losing her was like losing himself, and I was to blame for that. Mary told me that my father was a lovable man before my mother's death, the whole small population of our town adored him to pieces. Eddie says he radiated happiness, and that's where I got it from. No one ever saw anyone as in love with each other as my parents, so it was no surprise to anyone when my father was cold and cruel to me. From the day I left the hospital to now, Mary and Eddie are basically my parents."

When she stopped speaking, Harry questioned, "When did your father die? If you don't mind me asking."

"I don't mind." Amelia thought for a moment, "My father killed himself before I turned a year old. If I remember correctly, I was eleven months old."

"And he was okay with just leaving his child like that?" Harry's voice was laced in disbelief.

He was surprised, to say the least. He couldn't quite fathom the idea of someone wanting to abandon their child, and act as though the child isn't even their own. What surprised Harry the most was how unaffected Amelia seemed to be by it all. It was obvious that it did upset her a little bit, but it was also clear that she didn't let it control her life.

But, that's just how Amelia was raised. Mary and Eddie constantly made sure that she knew she was loved, even putting her first during their son's death. They were to thank for Amelia's kind and modest ways, and everyone praised them for it. They were just happy to know that even after everything Amelia had to go through at a young age, her life would be happy and she would prosper.

Amelia nods, "I guess you could say that. But, you have to remember, to him, I wasn't his child. I was merely a product of something he contributed to, I was the cause of the love of his life's death."

"You're a strong girl, Muppet. I don't think that you could've persevered through the situation you went through any better than you did. I'm proud to be in the presence of you." The way Harry made her seem like a goddess to him made Amelia chuckle fondly, her heart seemingly growing ten times larger by his words.

"I tried to bring Eddie to a sunflower field once." Amelia's smile comes back to her face as she thinks back on the memory, which ultimately makes Harry smile as well.

Harry chuckles, "Oh, yeah? How'd that go?"

"He wouldn't get out of the car. Once he took view of the sunflowers, he refused to move a muscle. He insisted that he didn't need to see any sunflowers because I was the only one he needed in his life." Amelia's eyes close, almost as if shes hoping that when she opens them, she'll be with Eddie again in a sunflower field.

"You're the sunflower of my life." Harry's words are like a compliment to her, although anyone who was listening on would be confused by the broad statement, Amelia quite likes it.

Amelia meets his eyes and offers a small smile, "You're the sugar with my watermelon."

Harry scrunches his nose, "The sugar with your watermelon? What's that supposed to mean, Muppet?"

"Well, Bubba, it means that you clash with everything else in my life, just as sugar does with watermelon, but I love every second of it." Amelia smiles proudly at her explanation, liking how easily the compliment flowed off her tongue.

Harry looks away, his cheeks tinted red showcasing his reaction to the compliment, "You intrigue me, Amelia Moore."

"Is that a bad thing?" Amelia challenges, her gaze moving away from him so she doesn't feel creepy just staring at the side of his head.

Harry shakes his head, "Nothing is a bad thing with you."

Amelia just hums happily in reply to him as they both stare out at the sunset behind the sunflowers in front of them. For the first time in a while, Harry feels truly happy and content. He forgets the worries that will await him the second he drops Amelia off at her home. The worries of the new album, if its good enough, if people are even going to listen to it. None of that even crosses his mind for a moment, the only thing on his mind is the butterflies in his stomach he has while Amelia's complex yet heartfelt compliments fill his mind.

Even though Harry believes Amelia is just as happy as she always is, she's not. While she definitely is over the moon, shes a new kind of happy. One she'd never experienced before. Amelia had past boyfriends, she'd even tell you shes been in love before. But, not a single one of those relationships felt like this. Simply sitting next to Harry, a friend who she was deeply attracted to, felt better than being with the man she formerly loved. Amelia had opened herself up to Harry, and he didn't once take advantage of it or show her unwanted pity.

Instead, he praised her and made her feel special. He adored every little thing about her, and remembered the smallest details about her. That was clear as day, especially since they were sat in a sunflower field and Amelia only mentioned the nickname her grandfather had given her once.

But, he still remembered.

"Is this all going to fall apart?" Harry looked over to Amelia, wanting to notice a reaction after he spoke.

Amelia shook her head, "Everything happens for a reason, Harry. We were meant to be here right now, and we should just see where this takes us, don't fret on the future."

"I don't want this to fall apart."