Life is a Sit-Com

The next day at work, I decide to tell Ayesha everything. She attends a meeting with the boss and other team leads for more than four hours and frustratedly walks out of the meeting room. You could tell by her face that she's ready to punch someone if they even try to talk to her.

"My head is pounding. I have to go out for a smoke and get some chai, you wanna join?" she asks me.

I can't think of a moment more perfect to tell her everything. I nod and we both go down to the chai spot on the road. The seller hands us two cups of hot tea, while Ayesha pulls the lighter out of her pocket, lights her cigarette and takes a drag.

"God, I missed this feeling!"

"It's kind of complicated how you are okay with smoking but don't drink at all. Smoking is much more dangerous, you know".

"Not when you smoke this rarely", she points out, "plus, I don't really like alcohol. It makes you slur, your conscious isn't in your control anymore and most importantly, it results in bad hangovers. But smoking, it stimulates your nervous system, keeps you in control".

"It's still unhealthy".

It's impossible to argue with Ayesha.

"It's a choice, Trisha! Plus, beer sucks. I don't know how you like it. It has the shittiest taste ever".

"Hey, beer is amazing! You don't get to say that".

"I know you have a bad taste. So anyways, how's your bond with this Arjun guy so far? I didn't get to hear about your date. Did you guys bang?"

"No, we didn't even kiss. We're friends, Ayesha."

"You're making 'friEnDs' on Tinder, Trisha? Seriously?" she laughs.

"Ha ha, very funny Ayesha. Besides, there's something I need to tell you".

"Shoot."

I tell her everything starting from the day Karan spoke to me, until the case we filed against him. She listens to everything and simply nods, without reacting much. I expected her to be pissed off for hiding all this from her but her reaction is a lot more calm.

"Trisha", she says putting a hand on my shoulder, "I already know this".

"What?"

"Do you keep forgetting that I have my contacts around in the office? People tell me stuff they hear. Plus, I'm really good with digging stuff up. Just so you know, it's not cool to file a case on someone's behalf. You don't even know his girlfriend or ex-girlfriend or whatever. You two should've given her that space and time to decide."

"Ah, yeah. I didn't think of that".

"If you're done absorbing that piece of information, I want to hear about your next date. Who is he? Where are you two going? Are you going to friend-zone this guy as well?"

"Who are you talking about?", I ask seriously confused.

"What do you mean- who? You should tell me who it is. There must be someone else on Tinder who you're going on a date with, right? It can't just be this Arjun", she answers casually.

"And.. why would I do that? I mean, I stopped swiping since I talked to Arjun and the six other matches I got until then, I unmatched all of them".

"You did WHAT? Are you kidding me, Trisha? Why would you unmatch them?"

"Because four of them were creepy, one was too hot and the other one seen-zoned me".

"And why would you not swipe on more?"

"Because I'm already talking to Arjun, it's just not manners to go out with someone else".

I mean, isn't that obvious? Why would I go out with anyone else, right? Isn't that the whole point of having a dating app?

"And didn't you just say he's only a friend? What's the point of being on Tinder if you don't explore your options?"

"What else do you want me to do, Ayesha?"

"Do you think you're the only girl Arjun is talking to? He's probably been on Tinder for a while now, gone out on multiple dates, made good friends with a few, got laid with a few others and he will continue to do so. You know why? Because that's the purpose of it. You meet a lot of people, go out on dates, get to know each other and IF you actually happen to like someone a lot, you might date or fall in love. But in 99% of other cases, we're all just there to get laid! Please Trish, just look at the world around you", she takes a deep breath after finishing.

I mean, I don't know anything about dating apps and she's the expert. She must be right. So, Arjun is going on other dates and sleeping with other women. I mean, obviously, right? How did I not think of this? The only thing I'm capable of doing, is being surprised when I find out the most obvious. A rare, rare talent that only I possess.

"So you're telling me that I should meet more guys? That my life isn't going to suddenly get all romantic?"

"Trish, nobody's life is going to get suddenly all romantic. Look around you, love isn't in the air. You're expecting a rom-com when life is actually a sit-com and you are the joke!"

"Thanks for the reality check, Ayesha", I roll my eyes.

She laughs loudly, patting my back.

We return back to the office after our little tea break and get back to work. After two hours of continuous editing of articles, I decide to take a break and think about what Ayesha told me.

I always think of how, while everyone else is in a rush to do so many things at a time, I'm the only one that's laid back and silently watching life pass by. Maybe Ayesha is right- my life is a sit-com and I'm the joke but guess what, I'm done with life bullying me. I'm ready to bully life back and show it who's the one in control.

Wait, what? Did I actually just say that to myself? I just can't believe how the voices in my head get so weird sometimes. I wonder if everyone does this or it's just me.
__________________________________

(A/N: please do vote if you liked this chapter. also, smoking and alcohol consumption is injurious to health and I would 10/10 recommend NOT doing either of them)