sotd | one

There are some things in life that will never change.

Like how the Government Assembly is cruel and heartless. ("the government assembly" ew) How they kill innocent people without slightest reason or hesitation. How they starve Brinkan to death, and baby the other Fields. How, no matter how comfortable a Field you live in, they force you into The Quest. 

It's funny how they say Kandar used to be separate land masses called continents. Seven of them, I think. (oh, i forgot that this is supposedly the world in the future. how original.) Each with their own different countries, each with their own different rulers. That was before World War III. We don't know much about the first two- which continents were involved, who won- but we do know World War III consisted of every single one. Every continent. Every country. Every city. All at war until many years later, and they all forgot where they came from, who their ancestry was. (how??) They say after more than five generations passed, they came together, having forgotten why they were fighting in the first place, and the Government Assembly rose to its ruling power. To "protect" us from any future wars about one another. (that's not how wars work, but okay.)

The Government Assembly grouped us together into the three Fields: Brinkan, Cassem, and Zure. (so... you still separated them.) They filled the gaps of water between each continent with land, so we could all be one. (wouldn't that... kill the earth?) The northernmost tip of the globe, an area known as the Tundra, was destroyed, and the Government Assembly rebuilt a more substantial habitat to live in. (breaking the laws of nature. nice.) And then there was Kandar.

The Government Assembly is the only Field to wield Magic, a deadly substance used for evil deeds- killing people, teleporting the Contestants of The Quest to Nowhere. I always wonder- now, don't laugh- if Magic could be used for good. I know, crazy, right? But what if? (i hate it when my characters talk to the reader. what is this?)

I, being a Brinkani, have the trademark Brinkan looks: straight, jet black hair, black irises that make my eyes look like two huge pupils, and deathly pale skin. (oh, so she's basically everyone in twilight.) At sixteen, I'm very lucky I haven't been called for The Quest yet, as so many people before me have.

What is The Quest, you ask? (no, i didn't ask.) Well, a death trap set up by the Government Assembly, if you must know. Every year, three people –aging from fifteen to forty- from each Field are chosen at random to go on this journey. But I don't know why they call it a quest. After all, quests are supposed to be driven by some meaningful cause, like saving someone's life. Or so I've read in old fairytale stories. But this is nothing of the sort. The Government Assembly tells us that the people that survive The Quest immediately gain a position in the Government Assembly. That is their supposed meaningful cause. But, seeing as nobody survives, their offer is just a myth. 

The nine Contestants are set in what used to be Antarctica, the coldest continent. But the Government Assembly rebuilt it. (how do you rebuild a climate...?) It's now called Nowhere. Feared by all. Nowhere is a place that ranges from high mountain peaks to low valleys; from chilling temperatures to steaming ones; dotted with forests and deserts, meadows and prairies, from sunshine to blizzards; and you never know what kind of monsters are hiding in the caves and depths- all under the control of the Government Assembly. Each year we watch all nine Contestants get eaten by monsters, freeze to death, drown, or burn to ashes.

Each Contestant is given a fake name, because the Government Assembly doesn't want Brinkani to hear a Zurite or Cassemite name and use it later. (what?) Because since they broadcast this whole thing on TV and radio, all of Brinkan could quickly learn names. The worst part is you have to listen to the Government Assembly commentating. All of them, sitting on couches lazily, laughing and shrieking at the people falling over dead.