22.

Rover.

I wish I knew what in the world would make her choose a deserted island because at the moment I'm coughing up salty seawater and it's not what I expected.

My hands are covered in wet sand and its grittiness is much harder than any metal chord I've ever plucked. I can feel the small waves wash over the holes in my shirt, billowing it as I bring myself to my knees.

I can hear Noah cough, so I turn to try and find her. She's on her back still floating in the water.

"Noah!" I call out to her.

She quickly finds me as she moves to stand on her feet, "I'm okay, I just swallowed some water."

"How long have we been here?" I ask her.

She swims her way over to me as she replies, "A while. You were kind of just passed out for like ten minutes."

"Ten minutes?"

"Yeah, I didn't want to wake you," she says.

"You could've," I tell her.

She looks at me as if I'm a little lost, "It's bad luck."

She is right, I'm somewhat lost, "Bad luck?"

"When someone's dreaming," she explains, "you're not supposed to wake them up or else they will stay stuck in their mind forever."

"Isn't that for sleepwalking?" I cautiously correct her.

"Same thing," she replies, "we're dreaming and I can see you walking."

I laugh, "I don't think this is how it works."

"Oh well," she says pushing me off balance and back into the shallow water.

She lies down beside me and we just feel the water contour our bodies. Her skin is smooth as the back of her hand floats on top of mine.

I don't think I ever want to go back to reality. No more concerts, no more record label chasing after me. This is it, this is all I want. I'm free here.

When Avery asked me if I would be performing tonight, I wasn't lying when I said I would, but it would only be for her, Noah.

I'm ringing the water out of my shirt hoping it will dry quickly as Noah leans on a palm tree at the edge of what I assume is a forest.

I watch her look out into the unknown, the curiousness that has her eyes wide open looking for an adventure. Her smile proves to me that doing this with her was the right idea.

"Are you coming?" she calls out to me.

"My shirt's still drying," I tell her.

"Just, leave it in the sun, it will be here when we get back," she extends her hand for me to follow.

I couldn't argue with her on that fact, and if we're really on a deserted island I shouldn't even need to worry about it.

I stand up and walk through the hot sand to her. I put my fingers in between hers and I can see her try to hide a grin.

The forest floor is covered in dry shrubs and fallen leaves. We watch our step as we venture further, the trees getting closer and closer to each other and hiding us from the sun. Birds are singing far above us and their colours create fireworks of feathers.

"I've always wanted to visit an island like this," she says as we continue walking. "Although, I've never been a big fan of the heat."

"I guess that makes this the ultimate compromise," I say. "You can dream that away."