26.

Noah.

Well, fuck.

This shouldn't be happening. This has never been a problem before.

"Dad," I step forward, "this is what we wanted, right?"

He only looks at me, red in the face.

"He was going to betray you," I make up the lie.

"What?" he finally answers.

"Yes," I exclaim, "this was his only way to get into our court."

"This can't be," he scans the room for Nick, who is conveniently passed out on the floor off to the side.

My father dashes over to him as does everyone else who wants to see the action going on.

I glance over to Rover and we immediately rush out the back of the church. I don't know where we're going to go, but anywhere besides here sounds great.

My intricately detailed dress is dragging along the road, then the dirt as we run out into a field that leads into a forest. The trees keep us hidden as we make our way down a dusty old path.

"Can we stop for a second," I say to Rover who is just ahead of me.

He looks back at me, "What is it?"

"I need to take this dress off," I tell him, "it's too much for me to keep running in."

"Okay," he says, but doesn't move.

I take a step closer to him, "I need you to unlace me."

"Oh, yeah," he realizes.

I turn my back to him and move some of my hair out of the way so he can help me out of my dress. I unfasten a few of the hooks holding the front together, but eventually, it slides off to the ground.

I'm definitely tempted right now to just pin him to the ground and kiss him until I physically can't anymore, but the snapping of a twig definitely brings our fear back.

The only things I'm wearing now are my chemise and loosened corset as we quickly make a move further away from the castle and the town.

I can't tell how long we've been walking for, but we finally take a minute to stop and sit.

My back slides down a tree trunk as Rover sits down beside me.

"I have no idea what's going on," I speak first.

"It's okay," he says placing a hand on my thigh.

"I've never not had control over my dreams before," I say.

He gives me an affirming squeeze, "Well, this whole situation is kind of different."

"Yeah, you're right," I agree, looking down at the forest floor.

It's almost as if someone knew we were here when a horse-drawn wooden cart rolls up right in front of us. I do my best to push myself back to my feet as Rover does the same.

"Need a lift?" the stranger asks.

After everything that has happened, I'm not sure what to say but Rover replies, "Yes. Thank you."

"You can sit on the back," he says.

"Thank you," I tell him as we walk to the back of the cart.

Rover helps me up before jumping onboard. The cart jerks as we begin to move. It feels nice to just let my legs dangle off the edge.

"Where do you think we'll end up?" I ask him.