31. Downwards

"I promise I'll be back as soon as possible." Matt placed a kiss on top of my crest.
  "Matt, you know that depends on Kylo Ren."
  Matt half-shrugged. "Kylo is always fast with his missions, thanks to his strong Force powers."
I stroke a curly hair away from his glasses. "Of course, whatever you say Matt."

I had to admit that I'd feel better if I knew where Matt was going. Would it be safe? Yes, Kylo Ren is with him, but Kylo can't always look after him.
I waited on the docks together with Karen, wanting to see the ship leave.
Surprisingly it didn't, not right away.
Instead Kylo Ren walked out of it.
Was there something wrong?
Kylo was heading in our direction.
Did he find out about the kyberdust?
Luckily he didn't. "I wanted to inform you about the whereabouts of the mission."
I was surprised he wanted to tell me that.
"Omg, Commander Ren what an honour!!"
Kylo turned to Karen. "Could you please leave."
Please? Since when does Kylo ever say please?
"Yes of course, Commander," said Karen slimy. Karen whispered something in my ear before heading off, "he's the only one I'd share my muffin with. I mean look at him."
I waved her off, her eyes didn't leave Kylo as she walked away.
Kylo turned to me again. "We are going to follow a lead on the missing map to Luke Skywalker. It won't take very long."
Such important, secret information... why tell me?
"Why did you tell me this?" The words had left my lips before I could think them through.
To my surprise he wasn't angry with my curiosity. "I want you to know Matt will be safe, that you don't need to worry about him." Despite his helmet, I could feel his gaze examining my face.
I wondered what was going on in his mind.

Kylo wasn't able stop himself, he didn't want to leave (Y/n) alone. Perhaps he was overprotective. He couldn't suppress his gloved hand from stroking her jawline.

An actual shiver went through my spine, as the leather of Kylo's glove gently made contact with my skin.
Why was he acting like this? And why am I enjoying it? Why doesn't it feel wrong?
Normally in this kind of situation you should step back, but I couldn't. I simply couldn't. The warmth, the enticing scent of burnt leather, the thrill of who he was and what he was capable of.
It took a moment for Kylo to realise what he was doing. He quickly removed his hand. "I have to go," he mumbled before walking off with fast strides.
What in the Force's name just happened?

The next few days everything went downwards.
Small things like repairing ships and fixing gas leaks went wrong. First it looked fine, but after a day everything fell apart again. I didn't know why, I did everything the way I always did it. But my reputation as technician went to the moon, a moon a couple of solar systems away.
  I knew I had to do something special to secure my position. So I had worked on an updated stormtrooper helmet, one that could protect you from every kind of gas.
  I was currently on my way to the conference room to show the results.

  When I entered, I saw several higher officers, and Phasma sitting at a long table, with Armitage at the head.
  "Ah (Y/n) good to see you again, what is it you wanted to show us?"
  Unlike many others, Armitage's voice had a calming effect on me. Which helped, since I had lost a lot of confidence due to all the accidents. They were only little, but still I couldn't forgive myself.
  "I have made a new model stormtrooper helmet to protect you from any gas. Even the kind the smugglers used on us a week ago." I looked around the room. I knew I couldn't make any mistakes now, it was all or nothing.
  "Come on, we don't have all day," Phasma's annoying voice interrupted the silence. "We have actual, important matters to attend to."
  "I-I need someone to test it, to show that it works. Any volunteers?"
  But of course no one wanted to volunteer, they had all heard about the small incidents.
  My shoulders lowered... Well, guess this was it. The end of my career.
  "I'll test it." The red-head stood up from his seat, I couldn't suppress a smile.
  Phasma stood up too. "General, we can't risk-."
  Armitage hushed her by holding up his hand. "I see no risks."
  I felt several amused and irritated gazes fall upon me, a girl who the unforgiving General Hux stood up for.
  I handed him the helmet, I waited for him to put it on before explaining how it worked. "I will hold this bottle with gas in front of the breathing system. Nothing will happen if it works." I took the small bottle out of my pocket.
  "And if it doesn't?" asked an officer eagerly.
  "Then he will faint, that's all. But nothing should happen, so no need to worry." I opened the bottle and made sure I held it far enough away from me.
  The gas escaped and made its way to Armitage.
  Everything will be fine, it works, like every other invention of mine.
  It didn't.
  After a while, Armitage dropped back in his seat, unconscious.
  I closed the vial and rushed towards him, but someone grabbed my wrist and stopped me. "Let go of me! I need to help him."
  The hand turned me around and I stood face to face with Phasma. "I think you have done enough."
  I could only watch how they removed the helmet from his head. His lips were slightly blue due to a short on air.

  What happened next was all a blur.
  Doctors had rushed into the room and placed a breathing device over Armitage's mouth and nose.
  Luckily he started to regain his usual colour.
  They then continued to place Hux on a stretcher and carried him away to the infirmary.
  The next thing I knew, I was sitting on the edge of my bed, head in my hands.
I got suspended for at least a month.