1. A Message By A Purple Angel

A butterfly glided down to the small bonsai tree resting near the window.

Kanae couldn't help but stifle her restless sigh at the sight. Another sign that constantly reminded her with a sting of backlash. Each whip burning as her heart recoiled, flinched, at the fluttering insect.

As beautiful and elegant like her sister, it stood out perfectly on the little tree. No different from any butterfly, but it stood out strong and stubborn, to stand different from what its worth. She couldn't tell if this is a clear way of the creature reminding her of her duties of the day. To leave her room immediately to get ready.

That's what she knew Shinobu would say if she was still here.

Kanae exhaled through her nostrils to gust out any tension weighing down on her chest. It was temporary, only dropping for a second, but it was something. Better than nothing, right? She thought so.

She took a moment to scan the room she's grown accustomed to for quite a long time now. It was something to reminisce the first day of their arrival here in the estate. It was a typical moment that felt like a dream. A fairytale from the stories shared by her mother whenever she and her beloved younger sister couldn't sleep at night.

One of the fragments she cherished with all her heart and she would never give it away for anything in the world. That went without saying that the lighthearted and heartwarming memories weren't the only things caged up in her mind. She wondered if it was because of either her youth or naivete that fated her life into the lord to play. If her fate was made to be sole Kochou left to breathe on this world filled with demons.

While she relinquished at the thought of her family's deaths in the hands of those demons, she wondered if they were fitting in a better place now. Somewhere beyond the clouds, were they able to seek refuge and peace in heaven? What were they doing while she remained alive? Questions filled her mind like an onslaught of attacks with no answer for any of them.

Her pale violet hues trailed down to the dual swords leaning against the wall opposite to the Flower Hashira. One that rightfully belonged to her and the other... that once belonged to the Insect Pillar; Shinobu Kochou.

A new feeling gnawed subconsciously in the back at her mind whenever she stared at the thin-bladed sword. The creative use of chemicals such as poison to make up for her lack of strength. Kanae was nothing but proud of the creativeness her sister inherited. She only wished she would've been able to flourished it more and lived a solely different job than a demon slayer.

Kanae stood up from the comforts of her bed and troded towards the hangar. Her haori pristined and patterned beautifully in a butterfly-based fashion in white, light green, and pink. Ironic much, but it was something she appreciated. She carefully took the clothing off from its place and easily worn it over her uniform she already changed into hours ago.

Once she sported the silk, her attention returned to the butterfly, finally noting the purple and black patterns on its wings before it fluttered out of the window. It flew through the sky and over the borders of the Butterfly Estate as she stared with a churn in her stomach. The way it slipped from her sight a moment too similar to when the that Upper Moon demon killed her-

Kanae blinked back from the thought, shaking her head to sway them back into the dark corners of her mind. Her hand combed through her long dark locks, feeling the clip of her butterfly pin lightly tap the side she raked her fingers through. The gnawing feeling returned with a clearer view of what she tried to change. Pity and sorrow wasn't what she only felt, but at the moment, she'd best go about her day to tend to the inhabitants. In an attempt to ease the unsettling pits, she onced again slowly breathed in and out.

Inhale...

Exhale...

Inhale...

Exhale...

It didn't do so much, but it was enough to last for the meantime.

She looked away from the sunlight's basking welcome and left through the door with her easygoing smile. The corners shifted a bit lower than usual.

The twinkle in her sparkled orbs continued to fade each time, every other time